Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WY bison tag reduction

Magnum Sherpa

I just read that the number of wild bison cow/calf tags was reduced to 50 this year, down from 245 last year. I applied for one, but it looks like the chances for a NR went from marginal to abysmal. There will actually be more bull tags (70) this year than cow/calf tags. Anybody have an idea why they made the quota reduction? I know the area had a terrible winter, but normally bison are one of the more hardy critters when it comes to winter kill.

According to G&F they are at objective for population but have excess bulls so the tag increase this year. They say tags numbers will probably be low for the next few years. Looks like those that applied for bulls will be the lucky ones.
The numbers at harvest have been steady the last few years and have reduced the herd significantly.
I was told last year they would be reducing bulls tags due to incidental take but they say it was a normal year for that also, call the Jackson Office they have good info and are happy to talk with you.

Thanks for the information, Wytex. You are right about the bull applicants being the lucky ones. Had I known about the cow tag reduction and the pending license fee increase when I applied, I would have definitely thrown my hat in for the bull draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back