Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

E-Scouting for Antelope

TJT96

I've found a unit for a hunt in Wyoming this fall. Fingers crossed that I get the tag. Suppose I do draw a tag, where is the best place to start looking on maps? I know that getting away from roads is almost essential for finding less hunting pressure. What kind of terrain do antelope typically graze in? Do I need to stick with flatter terrain or go with more rigid contours? Questions like that. I've been trying to research this online, but a lot of the information I find beats around the bush. This will be my first antelope hunt so literally any advice will be helpful. Figured the best place to turn to would be the people that have been doing this for years.
Thanks!

My pronghorn experience involves driving and hiking to high points to glass from. They are pretty darn easy to see and find IMO, especially before the hunting starts. I've not found anything consistent as far as topography as to their preference other than big, open spaces where they can see a long way. Once they get some pressure, looks for valleys that are not visible from roads. I know this isn't as specific of advice as you'd like, but they really aren't that hard to find.

My pronghorn experience involves driving and hiking to high points to glass from. They are pretty darn easy to see and find IMO, especially before the hunting starts. I've not found anything consistent as far as topography as to their preference other than big, open spaces where they can see a long way. Once they get some pressure, looks for valleys that are not visible from roads. I know this isn't as specific of advice as you'd like, but they really aren't that hard to find.

E scouting for Antelope isn't effective IMO. They range far, I've found them at 9000ft all the way down the valley floors. Best bet is advice above. Boots on the ground.

Water is about the most important thing. If you find some water sources in more remote country that takes more than a mile hike you are in business in decent antelope country, which is most of the state of Wyoming.

Last edited:
TJT96 It never hurts to E scout to get the lay of the land. That being said, contact a WY game biologist or the local fish and game office and ask them about the unit. I can assure you that if your area isn't too rugged (cliffs, big rocks, high mountains) then you will see antelope. I prefer broken ground vs flat, makes it easier to sneak up on them. Hope you draw that tag!

ive found higher concentrations within a couple miles of water,rolling topografy,grassy areas seem to be better than timber,,,also have found that antelope will come from miles around to big powerlines for some reason.good luck

It's Antelope in wyoming...just drive into your area with your eyes open and you should see plenty. Large sage flats are good places to look, but I've also sneeked through aspen/spruce groves while stalking them. Just drive the roads the first day and you will get a good idea of where they will be.

Honestly in Wyoming I would worry more about access issues and ways to work into blocks of public land more than e scouting for animals. I have had zero issues finding antelope in Wyoming but finding lope you can actually chase could be a different story. Of coarse this all varies by the hunting district you chose. I have hunted Wyoming three times on left over tags in units with so called very limited access. All three hunts ended before 9am with nice antelope being taken two of them on small blm sections less than probably 300 acres.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back