MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hammocks Pros and Cons

Cullboss

So I have a friend that swears by hammock camping, however he made most of his gear such as under quilts etc. He also mostly camps in warmer climates. My question is are they any hammock campers that use them in Montana especially during elk season when its cold? Also any tips, tricks, and advise on staying warm and comfortable would be great. Every year gets harder on my body sleeping on the ground.

I personally hate hammocks. I feel like both my shoulders are touching my chin all night long. Maybe i need a different hammock, i dont know. You also better have some good insulation under you in that hammock.

I personally hate hammocks. I feel like both my shoulders are touching my chin all night long. Maybe i need a different hammock, i dont know. You also better have some good insulation under you in that hammock.

They say you're actually supposed to sleep almost diagonally in a hammock with your head and feet pressing out against the sides somewhat.

Once I started hammock camping, I gave up on the tent. I use a GI bivy sack, which is GoreTex, breaths, adds a bit of insulation and keeps things dry inside. The bivy sack can be put into a day pack and used away from camp, if needed. I put a half-inflated Klymit V sleeping pad and the 20 degree sleeping bag inside the bivy sack. I put my jacket under the bivy to add a bit more warmth. A light tarp on a line about 18"-24" over the hammock to add some additional warmth.

Benefits of hammock camping:
- not sleeping on damp ground
- not sleeping on a slope
- not sleeping on rocks, sticks, debris
- quieter and faster entry/exit
- doubles as a chair
- the bivy sack with everything in it is great for an emergency getaway, like when a lightening storm rolls in and you need to move to open ground away from trees... I personally know about this

Negatives:
- can be cool sleeping
- don't have the privacy of a tent
- must learn to sleep diagonally

To me, the pros outweigh the cons.

I gave up on tents as soon as I slept in a hammock. I have slept in mine down to minus 3. For comfort you want an 11 foot hammock. Stay away fromy anything you can buy at a store and check into cottage vendors like Dutchware Gear. Best place to get spun up on hammocks is hammockforums.net. Great group of hardcore hammock enthusiasts and an incredible wealth of information. Feel free to pm me and I can share how I go about it. I wouldn't camp or backpack any other way, but there is a learning curve.

I've spent a lot of nights sleeping in hammocks in a lot of places. For me, they're the most comfortable way to sleep. If comfort and quality sleep is your biggest priority, hammocks are hard to beat. With that said, setup is extremely important. Many guys who dislike hammocks haven't set them up correctly. hammockforums.net and shugemery on youtube are great places to start learning.

Another advantage to hammocks is the fact you can easily make most of the equipment yourself for very cheap. I have a 12' hammock with 14' tarp, whoopie slings, and guylines that weigh less than 2lbs, and it cost me around $150.

For cold temps you'll need a lot of insulation to stay warm, and that's where things get a little less advantageous compared to ground sleeping as far as weight goes. I've used both pads and under quilts for insulation and much prefer under quilts for comfort, but pads are acceptable (and a lot cheaper.) Generally speaking, hammocks are not as good for harsh weather, but you can get systems that will withstand high winds and lots of snow. You just have to pay for it. In my experience, when its cold, its cold, and it there isn't much difference if I'm in a tent or a properly equipped hammock setup.

One of my favorite aspects of hammock sleeping, isn't actually the quality of sleep. I love having a huge tarp and being able to do an open style pitch with a fire in next to me and an amazing view of the mountains around me. I'll close it up if I need to, but I mostly sleep with it open.

One thing is certain; hammock-ing is A LOT of trial and error. But its well worth the effort.

I might have to give it a shot again someday with a better hammock.

Thanks for the input I am 6'5" so I am thinking I may need a big one to sleep diagonally am I thinking right?

Not to hijack, but does anyone have experience sleeping in a hammock with low back problems? I have a bad back and I've heard mixed things about hammocks. I suppose I would just have to try it. I've slept in them before but that was before my back issues. I need a pretty firm mattress to sleep at home so I have my doubts.

Thanks for the input I am 6'5" so I am thinking I may need a big one to sleep diagonally am I thinking right?

You'll definitely need more material to make a comfortable hammock, and a heavier material too.

Not to hijack, but does anyone have experience sleeping in a hammock with low back problems? I have a bad back and I've heard mixed things about hammocks. I suppose I would just have to try it. I've slept in them before but that was before my back issues. I need a pretty firm mattress to sleep at home so I have my doubts.

What type of low back problems? I've had multiple bulging discs in my lower back, and hammocks actually helped me sleep better in the field than I when I slept on the ground. You may want a wider hammock with a flatter lay. Back injuries are picky though, so I would test it out before committing.

Grand Trunk Double is my favorite, and as large as is available. You want large to sleep more diagonal (which means you'll be flatter). It's made out of parachute material, so it's strong and light, and compresses down to about a cantaloupe sized ball. I've made a couple myself out of taffeta, and they work great, but not as compact or light. I couldn't find parachute material or I'd have made my own lightweight compact one. I wish I slept better in a hammock, but haven't figured it out yet. I keep trying though because being off the ground and not having to worry about slope or rocks is awesome in elk country. You can also pitch your tarp and get out of bad weather while you set up your hammock and make your bed. Reverse is true when breaking camp. Tarp is the last thing down after everything else is put away. Last fall I spent one day beneath a tarp staying warm and dry while it was windy and rainy. Very nice. I find I need a small pillow (fleece or other clothing rolled up) beneath my neck for support.
I made my own underquilt and my own bug net (when needed), tree straps, and tarps. Fun projects, but can get a bit tedious hemming all those edges, or cutting those giant pieces precisely.
yeah, shugemery is a good resource on youtube, if a bit wacky.
Play around with it if you have the money. All you really need to test it out is a hammock and some straps (ratchet straps will get you started) and see if you think it'll be for you. You might just love it. Or you might want to love it like me!

Watch. Some shug emery videos. Just a great human being. If you're not enthused after that I don't know what to tell you..

You'll definitely need more material to make a comfortable hammock, and a heavier material too.

What type of low back problems? I've had multiple bulging discs in my lower back, and hammocks actually helped me sleep better in the field than I when I slept on the ground. You may want a wider hammock with a flatter lay. Back injuries are picky though, so I would test it out before committing.

I've got a herniated disc and 1 or 2 that are a bit bulged. I guess I'll have to give it a try.

So what do you guys do when you are socked in with bad weather? My small one and two man tents really shine in those settings. I can sit up and change clothes, cook a mountain house in the vestibule, etc.

I have a Hennessy Hammock and its very comfortable. I sleep great in it when backpacking and I also have back problems. It helps a lot and better than a two man tent for sleep. Not as good in bad weather. Hammock stays dry and warm but the rest of my grea....not so much.

So what do you guys do when you are socked in with bad weather? My small one and two man tents really shine in those settings. I can sit up and change clothes, cook a mountain house in the vestibule, etc.

The same thing... except with more room to do it, and a comfy chair that's off the ground :) I'm also not taking my hammock into Hilleberg type territory.

One of these years I'll make a hammock hot tent/shelter, which I believe will be the ultimate shelter.

As was stated, pretty much the same thing. You have a tarp pitched over the hammock and can adjust the pitch. With a decent sized tarp you end up with a lot of room. I have a Warbonnet Superfly tarp and I think it's the cat's pajamas. Lots of configurations, doors, and only about 20 oz including tieouts.

One con is you gotta be in trees, and if you move camp regularly you have to find another two that meet your criteria. Aside from spring bear, my backpacking trips don't necessarily have hammock worthy trees where I'm sleeping. I think the biggest benefit of backpack hunting is the flexibility of throwing down camp just about anywhere, and hammock country can limit that. For some guys they work great, and I'd never knock a gameplan that works and makes sense.

I'm still trying to figure out a dual-purpose underquilt/sleeping pad. That way you can sleep about anywhere if you have a trekking pole to use as a tarp pole.

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back