Mounts for a smaller buck??

lifesupport4u

I shot a smaller 3x4 Muley in CO last season. I would probably just do a Euro but wife wants a shoulder mount... I won't complain.

Any pointers out there on mounting a deer of this size?

Attachments

• IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,645
The smaller ones go together just like the bigger ones.

You should pick a pose you like. Figure out if you want a right turn, left turn or straight. I prefer turns. Usually I look at the rack and choose a turn that shows off the rack the best. For a smaller deer you might want the ears back to show off the rack more.

Choose a taxidermist that does good work and can mount a deer that looks alive.

Here is my son's first deer from this past season that I mounted for him.

DSCN1573cropped.jpg

Attachments

• Joe's Deer 1.jpg
    Joe's Deer 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,022
How many more muley hunts do you plan on doing? If you don't live in the west and you think this might be your last mule deer, go ahead and mount him. However, if you plan on doing more hunts regularly there's a good possibility that you'll find a bigger one for a shoulder mount. If that's the case, this guy looks like a good candidate for a European mount. Totally your call though. At the end of the day it's all about what YOU want to see hanging on your wall.

Just make sure your taxidermist knows mule deer. The antlers should be close to the ears not down on the neck.
Sorry but I hate seeing mounts with the skull cap improperly trimmed and the ears mounted on the neck.
He will look great either european or shoulder mount.

I would go with a semi-sneak with the ears back to help the antlers stand out a bit more if you are set on mounting it... and there is nothing wrong with putting an average buck on the wall. It might be many years before you get a bigger one for all you know. For my taste, he would look better as a euro mount.

My wife talked me into doing a shoulder mount on this guy for the oldest.

I let him pick out the form and he chose a wall pedestal with a hard right turn.

IMG_4983.jpg
I did this mount for a smaller buck this year. Something different and turned out nice.

Thanks! Sorry the picture is sideways but the wood is wrapped in barbwire. I saw one similar online and wanted to try it. I have a bunch of normal euro mounts and wanted something different

If he makes you happy and brings back memories of that hunt, then get the best mount done you can.
One of my oldest hunting buddies went many years in NJ before shooting a deer.
His father was not really a hunter but when Tommy finally shot his 1st deer, you know that his Father had to have it done.
Guess what..........that Button Buck was the only deer he ever had mounted in his life.
Tommy went on to kill dozens of deer and several whitetails close to 130" but his Button Buck was a gift from his Dad and that was all that mattered.
The buck shown with me on my file photo definately had a "strong side" that we favored to the folks coming into the family room.

10Dogs

Tell wife you are saving money for the next big one you get. Unless you have a big house with a high ceiling, you'll run out of room quickly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a jackalope yet. That would make an incredible Christmas present for your wife.Unlucky_Jackalope_4891624513.jpg

Coastie....

That's cool........I have about 12 mule deer and 2 whites that would look great mounted that way.

Let me know when you want to get started. I'll supply the barn wood and the barbed wire...

Really? That would be a great side project for me! You would want them all the same?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back