Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nevada waiting period change

BlakeA

Looks like they have updated the waiting period change to those who draw tags for bull Elk and buck Antelope regardless of success. Elk has changed from 5 years to 7. Antelope will now have a 3 year waiting period.

I wonder what effects, if any, this change does to those NR applicants who are in the middle of the pack as far as points go knowing that a Nevada bull elk tag is more than likely a once, maybe twice in a lifetime opportunity. Do they still try to burn their points on the units that are "easiest" (no real easy to draw units in NV but you get the point) to draw because they just want to hunt rather then wait longer? Or now, since you will have to wait 7 full years before even applying again do they continue to hold out for some of the premier hunts because they know there is a good chance it will be their one and only hunt there and they already have a lot invested? What happens if they change it from 7 to 10? Interesting stuff nonetheless.

Personally, I would rather go hunting than sit on a pile of points for the top hunts and I think ANY bull elk tag in Nevada would be an awesome experience.

Last edited:
Elk was 10 years if you killed, 5 if you didn't, now 7 no matter what. Antelope was 5 if you killed, zero if you didn't, now 3. Not sure if it will change peoples draw strategy, but it did affect some peoples "kill" strategy, under the old rules.

Elk was 10 years if you killed, 5 if you didn't, now 7 no matter what. Antelope was 5 if you killed, zero if you didn't, now 3. Not sure if it will change peoples draw strategy, but it did affect some peoples "kill" strategy, under the old rules.

Thanks for the post jrabq! I was unaware of the Antelope 5 year period if you killed and also the 10 year Elk period if you killed.

I like the idea of a longer wait if you kill vs didn't in a premium area. There wasn't​ a lot of raghorns getting shot on Nevada. I would expect a increase in harvest stats due to some last day harvest.

Very interesting. If this is true it affects me because I drew and harvested one in 2007. So that would be 9 years. After considering I really question if I should bother because of the extremely low odds. Hafta think about this one.

Very interesting. If this is true it affects me because I drew and harvested one in 2007. So that would be 9 years. After considering I really question if I should bother because of the extremely low odds. Hafta think about this one.

You should not bother. Nevada makes it too difficult for you non-residents.

You should not bother. Nevada makes it too difficult for you non-residents.

But I'll have bought a NR license anyway due to the other species, so I'll think about this one.

Reporting live from the Pope & Young Convention in St. Louis!

This question is sure to be asked??? This change with the elk and antelope waiting periods with only affect you in a positive way, otherwise everyone is grandfathered in. Say you killed a bull last year and you had an ten year wait. With the rule change, now you have a 7 year wait. If you didn't kill a bull last year and you have a 5 year wait, the new rule "does not" bump you up to a 7 year wait. After this season the rules will change for those of you who are lucky enough to draw bull elk and antelope this year. This new rule will keep the trophy hunters from holding off for that monster knowing that they'll have to wait an additional 2-3 years if they don't take the animal that presents them with a shot. We'll have to wait and see how these new regs are going to play out!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back