Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Red Deer "Roar" Hunt

Kiwi

Last weekend I spent a week hunting the near the Waiatoto Valley in South Westland, New Zealand. A very remote and scenic area. Its well known for low deer numbers but a chance of a big stag - and I can confirm both facts are correct! I didn't see a deer all week but noticed some very big stag prints too.

Anyway, as with all hunting trips they are enjoyable for spending time with friends and the wilderness. Here are a few iphone photos.

Solo camp for three nights

Native Falcon

Main Valley we hunted

Spot the chamois

A closer view (52 yards)

View from camp

Very cool stuff. My wife went to Australia and New Zealand a while ago w/ her mother and stated she enjoyed New Zealand so much she would like to go back there rather than Australia. I might even get to go with next time :). If I do, I would love to see New Zealand from "off the beaten path". Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the comments guys.

SFC B - yes the chamois walked. I was looking for a 10 inch buck and only saw smaller chamois.

JMG - Glad your wife enjoyed her trip here. I'm sure you'd enjoy a trip here too (especially if you’re planning to hunt).

Teamhoyt - Keep in touch and let me know your plans when you have something confirmed.

amazing how the chamois are spotted in the same terrain most times,,txks for post

Nice Pictures Kiwi. I willbe over in late June for Tahr.

For all the blokes wanting to come down and hunt NZed make the airline ticket cost worth it and try and organise a Sambar deer hunt in the Victorian High Country of Australia. A big elusive deer in thick country.

And for a experience you will never forget - being honked by a Sambar. Not my video but shamelessly stolen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTaSEwAQNM0

Thanks AussieHunter. Where are you tahr hunting?

Very cool honking vid. Sounds a bit like a red deer bark as we call it. Is the honking an alarm / warning call?

Sounds good aussiehunter, best of luck. I'll be down that way next month too for tahr hunt. One of the best hunts around IMHO.

Back