handgun choice for wilderness wanderings

A guy told me that if you carry a pistol for defence against grizzlies that you should file the front sight down till its even with the barrel. That way when the bear grabs it and shoves it up your @$$ it doesn't hurt as bad.

When people give me that line I always ask them how they know that. they always heard it somewhere. Then I ask them what are my odds if I carry nothing. If it can get through my 44 mag with 300 grain cast core at 1300 ft per sec for 6 rounds then it'll win. I am content to take my chances in grizz country with that for now until I trade up. I like it and I shoot it well.
In none grizz country I carry something smaller

Depends on which bears you're talking about...just sayin'

Personally bear spray is all I carry. I've never been worth a damn with a handgun so I'd go for sheer volume (spray and pray method) so I'd go with my Springfield in 9mm or S&W M&P40

I always carry bear spray, running, cross-country skiing, etc.

I have a 44 magnum, but if I'm in an area likely to have grizzlys,
I leave my revolver at home and take a 12 gauge shotgun or magnum rifle.

Typically nothing unless I'm in grizzly country, then I pack spray

I want to know if you guys carry clean underwear for when a grizz charges you and covers 30 or 40 yards in a matter of a second or two while you're trying to get a pistol out and concentrating on making effective accurate shots in a matter of mere seconds while you're $hitting yourself :cool:

Last edited:
I'm going to try not to stir the pot on this too much but here we go anyway. I should also say that I have zero grizzly or black bear experience. I do carry a handgun for work. If you were in a hunting situation why would you even waste time drawing your pistol? Why wouldn't you just go straight to your rifle which would be I'm guessing a .270 at minimum. All pistol calibers suck at causing terminal damage to soft tissue on human targets let alone something as thick and muscular as black or a grizzly bear. Again this is just my personal opinion but I think most people greatly exaggerate their ability to shoot a handgun, especially at a moving target, including individuals in the law-enforcement world. Most struggle to make quality hits on human size Targets at 25 yards at the range under ideal conditions. Then you add in target movement and hopefully shooter movement things get really embarrassing for most people. According to a quick Google search black bears can run anywhere from 25 to 35 mph, making a central nervous system hit an animal running at you that fast it's going to be extremely difficult and would really even be difficult to train for. Especially when you add in that you're probably going to be crap your pants scared, or at least I would be. LOL.
Just for fun, if a bear is at 30 yards and charges with a top end of 25 Mph running speed he would be on top of you in around three seconds.
It's better than having a pointy stick I suppose and handgun can be effective against two leged threats but as far as a grizzly or black bear I just don't see it being that effective if it decides it is going to take you. I think a rifle would be a better choice.

............ or I could be completely wrong.

I forgot to add others probably going to be at least a .5 sec to .75 sec reaction time delay while you're trying process everything and get your handgun out so your probably looking at around two seconds to get rounds on target.

Last edited:
I'm going to try not to stir the pot on this too much but here we go anyway. I should also say that I have zero grizzly or black bear experience. I do carry a handgun for work. If you were in a hunting situation why would you even waste time drawing your pistol? Why wouldn't you just go straight to your rifle which would be I'm guessing a .270 at minimum. All pistol calibers suck at causing terminal damage to soft tissue on human targets let alone something as thick and muscular as black or a grizzly bear. Again this is just my personal opinion but I think most people greatly exaggerate their ability to shoot a handgun, especially at a moving target, including individuals in the law-enforcement world. Most struggle to make quality hits on human size Targets at 25 yards at the range under ideal conditions. Then you add in target movement and hopefully shooter movement things get really embarrassing for most people. According to a quick Google search black bears can run anywhere from 25 to 35 mph, making a central nervous system hit an animal running at you that fast it's going to be extremely difficult and would really even be difficult to train for. Especially when you add in that you're probably going to be crap your pants scared, or at least I would be. LOL.
Just for fun, if a bear is at 30 yards and charges with a top end of 25 Mph running speed he would be on top of you in around three seconds.
It's better than having a pointy stick I suppose and handgun can be effective against two leged threats but as far as a grizzly or black bear I just don't see it being at that effective up a tool if it decides it is going to take you. I think a rifle would be a better choice.

playing along as devil's advocate...what happens if I'm hunting with sharp sticks? You're right that trying to jerk a pistol out and fire it with any proficiency is probably null. In all reality, after having done the bear charge event that you see at fairs, it's next to impossible to get bear spray out in time let alone hit something. Some bear defense people suggest the idea of hip shooting your bear spray when you're in a surprise situation which seems logical

That's why if I were to carry a sidearm it'll have lots of rounds that reliably cycle. There is a video of guys floating down an Alaska river hunting moose and a griz sow with cubs charges. The guide gets one shot off with his revolver but what you don't see in the 30 second clip is his revolver failed because he loaded his rounds so hot that it backed out the primer seizing the action.

I assumed if I was down to using my sidearm the bear was already on top of me. In which case it makes much more sense than trying to wield a rifle. Havent met a critter yet that didnt think 15 rounds of 200gr hard casts were effective.

It's better than having a pointy stick I suppose and handgun can be effective against two leged threats but as far as a grizzly or black bear I just don't see it being at that effective up a tool if it decides it is going to take you. I think a rifle would be a better choice.

I forgot to add others probably going to be at least a .5 sec to .75 sec reaction time delay while you're trying process everything and get your handgun out so your probably looking at around two seconds to get rounds on target.

Bear spray is the most effective deterrent for keeping both humans and bears alive (as has been proven out over the last 20 years). I always carry a canister in the lower 48.

But I love my guns too, so I pack one. It'll be a choice out of - .44Mag (with 300 gr hardcast). I have 2 of those - both Ruger Vaquero's (1 5 1/2" and 1 4 5/8"). It's one or the other. Sometimes I pack a Kimber Classic II (.45 ACP). Sometimes I pack a Marlin 1895 in .444 Marlin. I would like to get one of Kimbers 10 mm. I've shot the Glock 10mm's and they shoot well. I'm just not used to the grip angle on a glock, so it would take a bit more practice.

I've also got thoughts about a nice .41 mag (older S&W maybe). I do love those as well.

I always shake my head and give wide deference to guys carrying extra guns while hunting. I rarely want to pack my own gun, let alone be burdened carrying 2 of them around.

I have hunted with Grizzles..., with tracks everywhere, and quarters of meat being hauled daily. And never felt like I needed more than my rifle.

I wanna see Firedude's Python. I carry a Ruger .357 stuffed with Buffalo Bore 180 grain Hardcasts. Don't have faith in a semi-auto out in the woods. Plus, I shoot it accurately. mtmuley

I like my Python. Not Tacti-Cool by any means but very functional, dependable, and accurate. They have a double action like butter and a single action like a match rifle trigger. As to why anyone would carry one while hunting. Well I carry this during archery season in case I need more than a pointy carbon stick. When debating defense remember you are not playing by the same rules as with humans. If you run into a bear you can draw and aim without it being aggressive first. You don't have to wait for it to charge. Draw and retreat if you can but by all means be ready if you need it. As far as hitting a moving target while it's charging it's easier if you practice. Even if you don't hit it perfect(And probably won't) what does a little lead throwing into it SOMEWHERE going to hurt at that point? If you break bone, hit it in the face, or even muscle it's going to slow it down enough to get more into it so by all means fire away.
Resized_20170403_104847.jpg
The bullet from my bear. Yep, solids! I like to punch deep to get through muscle, fat, and bone if necessary.
Resized_20170403_104906.jpg

Last edited:
I want to know if you guys carry clean underwear for when a grizz charges you and covers 30 or 40 yards in a matter of a second or two while you're trying to get a pistol out and concentrating on making effective accurate shots in a matter of mere seconds while you're $hitting yourself :cool:

Hippy.

Thanks Firedude. Had a thing for the Python for a long time. Beatiful 6 gun. mtmuley

Thanks Firedude. Had a thing for the Python for a long time. Beatiful 6 gun. mtmuley

They've gotten expensive. But 4-5 months of Biolife donations will pay for one. That's how I support my gun habit.

It's better than having a pointy stick I suppose and handgun can be effective against two leged threats but as far as a grizzly or black bear I just don't see it being that effective if it decides it is going to take you. I think a rifle would be a better choice.

If I have a round chambered in the rifle at all, it will only be one as that is all it holds. Hand loads don't fit in the mag. I would much rather have a shot (pun intended) at getting 6 rounds off then one and one only. As for hitting the animal that runs as fast as you say. Then the target should get real big, as in right in front of me, by the time I draw and am ready to fire, eh. I will get at least 2 rounds off at point blank before I get swatted, whilst you are fumbling for your safety on the rifle and trying point your rifle in it's direction and get more than one shot off with your bolt action.
i like my chances and am content with what I have. Other wise I might be so poorly inclined to take (No Way) Jose along to carry the fresh meat as I'm sure i can outrun him :hump:

Use what you feel comfortable with. I am not knocking anyone's carry choices, if the extra weight doesn't bother you and you can carry comfortably go for it.

Back