handgun choice for wilderness wanderings

Wife carries a .357 and I carry a .44mag. Not real interested in bear spray here in MT. Just my choice. I heard an old timer say once even grizzlies like pepper on their food.

LOL!!!

I just take someone slower than me :hump:

I just hunt with John. I let him beat me in a footrace one time.... I use the peanut butter and maple bacon method. Peanut butter and maple bacon gets put in my hunting partner's pack.

Before the 10mm's

25155090150_30cdfe7674_b.jpg

25357788081_5efb32610a_b.jpg

25450655005_4273b95a8e_b.jpg

Wood and would....definitely

I carry my Glock 19. Around here there are bears but I'm more worried about coming up on a meth lab. I do have a can of bear spray also. The 19 is small enough to not be in the way and has plenty of magazine capacity also.

I wanna see Firedude's Python. I carry a Ruger .357 stuffed with Buffalo Bore 180 grain Hardcasts. Don't have faith in a semi-auto out in the woods. Plus, I shoot it accurately. mtmuley

Twice in the last year I've had uncomfortable situations with stoned ass-clowns, once hiking, once on the river. Both times I had kids with me. For some, being in nature (including hunting!) requires alchohol, pot and drugs.

Ruger .357 or MP40, I shoot both equally bad.

I carry a Taurus 9mm w/17rd clips.One FMJ & one HP's.
Not too worried about griz in NM.
I do not trust black bears and humans less.Throw in lions,wolves as possibles,but they stay away from humans usually here.
Friend lost 3 calves & a heifer last week to wolves.She carries everywhere & had a meeting with the FWS/wolf folks .............I would have paid to be there.
Only time I have ever pulled my pistol hunting game was on boars in CA, twice.
Have pulled it a few times on two legged critters tho. Always been better with a rifle,but popped a couple clips last week to check.Nice pie pan center mass pattern still.

Last edited:
I generally carry a S&W 340PD in .357. The recoil is pretty absurd with .357 loads in such a light gun so I usually keep it loaded with 38+P's mostly for protection. I throw in .357 Fusions if I know I'm going to black bear country but I'm not too worried about bears mostly. If I was in Griz country I would take my super redhawk .454 casull.

I carry a 357 taurus. Always seems to go bang, and it's easy enough to holster carry. Somehow I traded out of my 45 colt, it needs to be replaced.

A guy told me that if you carry a pistol for defence against grizzlies that you should file the front sight down till its even with the barrel. That way when the bear grabs it and shoves it up your @$$ it doesn't hurt as bad.

A guy told me that if you carry a pistol for defence against grizzlies that you should file the front sight down till its even with the barrel. That way when the bear grabs it and shoves it up your @$$ it doesn't hurt as bad.

hahaha I too have heard this. I would bet this was pre-.454, 460, 480, 500.

Well it has been my Glock 19(a 9mm) or the Metro Arms 1911 in 45 up to now. But I am now considering the S&W Model 69 Combat pistol. It holds 5 rounds of .44 mag or .44 S&W rounds. The weight and power combination seem hard to beat for backpacking into serious bear country.

Sold my ruger GP-100 years ago.
158 Grain JHP grouped well and opened huge.
Miss this gun the most....also almost guaranteed to cycle and go bang 6 times.

Today I would have to take my Glock 19.....no not the same.
Also from NJ but not asking anyone if I can pack this ...or that.

" Let me be judged by 12....not carried by 6 "

10Dogs

Back