CO 2nd Rifle Mule Deer

PRM

For you experts out there, when do find the Mulies move down from the high country towards their winter range? Looking for a strategy for Co 2nd rifle and debating whether to consider the high country an option. My guess is during 2nd rifle (mid to late Oct) there may be some high, but starting to trend down lower. Clearly weather has a say and I'm thinking in general at this stage.

I'm not an expert but I've hunted second season several times in Colorado. Most of our success is in what I would consider transitional areas (mainly oak brush) with an elevation range of 7,500 to 8,800 feet. During the course of the season we see deer moving in from what I would assume is higher country. Even with the warm weather this past year we saw a lot of deer moving in and in some cases through to the country below us. We've killed a couple of nice bucks in winter range area during second season as well. I would guess you can have some success in higher country in 2nd season but I would be ready to move and have some lower country scoped out if your not having success.

I've found it to be hit and miss yearly. Some years they're higher, some years they're lower. If you want to have the best chance for success I would have multiple spots in higher and lower country scouted out. Where I hunt weather/water has been the biggest factor but not in quite the way you would think. The lower country where I hunt is pretty dry, and it takes some rain down lower or there won't be many deer. Which is funny, since most people would assume that you need weather up high to push deer down. In my case you need weather down low to pull deer in. Just something to consider; not sure what types of areas you're looking at. Best of luck

Appreciate the comments. I'll be looking at maps and putting together a plan and then refine if I draw a tag. I think 2nd will be tough in that they could really be anywhere and won't quite have the rut kicked in to get them moving.

Unless there is a substantial snowfall, you can count on there being some bucks in the high country 2nd season. The area I hunt, it is only about 1 out of 8 or 9 years that they have all moved to lower country by 2nd season. That said, I believe that during those 9 days, the bucks are slowly trickling out of the high country, even without much weather. By the end of 2nd, you should start seeing some deer in the transition, or lower areas.

I hunted 2nd season 3 of the last 5 seasons. I think it is pretty hit or miss where you find them. It is a much easier season to hunt regularly. The last couple years 2nd season was unusually warm (as was 3rd season). Be prepared to move around and have several spots picked out. Hunting 2nd season you're sure to be in (good) company. I see a lot of deer on the move during 2nd season and many times its because they're being bumped or inadvertently pushed. You can use this to your advantage if you're positioned correctly.

Depends on the unit. I was hunting antelope in unit 13 and saw all sorts of muley bucks. Once the sun starts going down you have to watch or you would run them over. This was low elevation and early October.

I have the best luck down in the sage desert country in 2nd and 3rd rifle season. But like others have said there are bucks at most elevations that time of year. PRM, I think you are on the right track with your thinking. Alot depends on what unit/area you are in as well. One other factor to consider is pressure can push deer too, deer is limited, but most national forest areas up high will have otc elk hunters in 2nd.

I put in for CO Unit 67. We'll see how the draw turns out with the cut in licenses. Looking at the numbers, I should be ok, but it will be close.

Appreciate the inputs. It helps to paint a picture and inform my planning. I will select a handful of areas to look. I'll include high and low, but the focus will be on transition areas. If I don't find anything in the transition areas I'll go high next assuming normal weather. The low will be in case there is a heavy snow early and the high primarily in the event we have unseasonably warm weather. Within those zones I'll look for areas off the beaten path with potentially less pressure. Although, looking at the aerials, there are trails everywhere where 4-wheelers could travel. ugh. I hate 4-wheelers in the back country. Rather, I enjoy the getting away and 4-wheelers detract from that. Just my opinion. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?? Ha. Have a few different maps in hand but now I'll wait for the draw results. Edit: I did speak to the local CPW officer and he was quite helpful.

Last edited:
We hunted 2nd season this past year and it was relatively warm. But we found deer scattered from 7500-9500ft. Most were holding tight in timber except for small excursions early in the AM and late in the afternoon. My buddy killed his buck in the morning as he crossed a meadow from one block of timber towards a large aspen grove.

Of note-- even in the warmer weather we were starting to see good numbers of rubs popping up and this was the middle of second season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back