A little comparison, Muley/Whitetail against some UK deer

devon deer

I have been asked this on several occasions, so here we are, i believe my Muley and Whitetail on the left are fairly representative of what you have, although clearly not record breakers by any means.

On the right, top is a Red Stag, Fallow Buck, Roe Buck, and at the bottom a Muntjac.
The Red is the largest i have shot, although i have passed on some much bigger, the Fallow isn't a full on mature animal, i did have one with palmated antlers but it was stolen (my fault for leaving it where i did!) a fairly decent 6 point Roe Buck, and at the very bottom is the only munty i have ever seen, not in my county of Devon but in Norfolk, north of London.

Cheers

Richard

Nice roe buck with heavy bases. Thanks for setting up the comparison. Even though we won't be chasing the red or fallow deer, I hope to see some while we are stalking roebuck this summer.

Richard,

I really appreciate your input on this forum. Different outlook. I like the German and New Zealand outlook as well. Great insight!

And Richard, you really do need a pronghorn and an Elk to complete the set.

Thanks for your contributions!!!

A hunt talk pronghorn blow out would be amazing... and there are direct flights into Denver from Heathrow just throwing that out there...

In relation to taste comparison, nothing comes close to Pronghorn, never shot one but got to taste some, the best game meat i have tasted.
In fact i really do fancy trying for a Pronghorn one day.

I did get an Elk in 2014, i looked into getting it shipped over but it was really expensive, then events took another turn which meant i will never get it over.

No plans on coming back soon, but i'm not ruling out anything in the future.

Cheers

Richard

In relation to taste comparison, nothing comes close to Pronghorn, never shot one but got to taste some, the best game meat i have tasted.
In fact i really do fancy trying for a Pronghorn one day.

I did get an Elk in 2014, i looked into getting it shipped over but it was really expensive, then events took another turn which meant i will never get it over.

No plans on coming back soon, but i'm not ruling out anything in the future.

Cheers

Richard

I talked to a family friend who is a taxidermist and he was convinced he could do a euro for someone to fly with by boiling the skull removing the antlers and cutting them into piece strategically and then inserting fasteners in a way that it could be reassembled at the destination. Given the amazing job he did on an elk that fell of my father n laws wall and broke into a dozen pieces I'm inclined to believe him. A pronghorn would be a piece of cake.

I talked to a family friend who is a taxidermist and he was convinced he could do a euro for someone to fly with by boiling the skull removing the antlers and cutting them into piece strategically and then inserting fasteners in a way that it could be reassembled at the destination.
That sounds very interesting and might be the way to go, if i come back, and if i get an Elk!
Cheers
Richard

I hunted stags with a group in Latvia about 10 years ago. I had shot many elk by this time in my life. If I recall their names correctly, about 6 hinds came through with a stag right behind them. Since he was smaller than several of my elk, I elected to let him walk. The hunter to my right about 200 meters killed the stag. It was the biggest stag they had taken in years. I fealt like such an idiot. It did prove how little I knew about horn sizes. Thanks for the pics.

Back