MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Basic Layering System

Yeah, the whole not KUIU thing is mainly because I was looking for a reason to limit my selection since there's already too many options. The HT crowd seems to have their ducks in a row most of the time so since I've seen grumblings over KUIU politically, I figured I'd just stick with Sitka/FL if I was spending that kind of money. That being said, I should probably research them more before writing them off for non-product reasons.

Other than that, thanks everyone, the continued affirmation that I can save on some of my clothing and mix and match helps rest my mind (and wallet) as I'm getting ready for the season. Makes the ability to pull the trigger on a better pack and boots a whole lot easier. If I shoot an elk this year, I'll have to cook it for everyone on this forum because you've all earned it as much as I have!

I think another thing to keep in mind is what kind of hunting you will be doing... if you are just doing day hikes from a truck your system will look very different than if you are going 5 days out of a backpack. Rain gear that will keep you dry enough to get you back to your rig versus that which will keep you from getting hypothermia when you can't just turn around get in your truck and turn on the heater are very different. Lots of animals were killed in cotton flannel and carharts

So day hunting cabelas gear... backpacking high end gear from a mountaineering company or Sitka...

Makes the ability to pull the trigger on a better pack and boots a whole lot easier.
IMO, that is a much better way to go! Starting out I think boots, backpacks, and binos are good items to prioritize.

Well can't go wrong with either FL or Sitka. Good quality rain gear is something you need to pay good money for. Base layers I would go with FL Marino wool. After that stay away from cotton in the Western country. I use my KUIU, FL, and Sitka gear mostly out West, here in the Midwest where the territory is not as vast and temperatures don't change as drastically I use cotton and heavy weight stuff for stand hunting.

Not sure if it is completely Kosher to promote another website, but the Rockslide classified section is where it is at for buying quality used gear. I don't post on their forums at all, I just use their classified section. Sometimes folks are selling stuff for just 10 or 20 percent off full retail, but sometimes folks unload stuff for really good deals. The good deals go fast though. Their classified section can have 6 pages of posts in a day, very active.

Camofire.com is another place to pick up quality gear at low prices. Generally 40% off retail and sometimes even more. They just had a big run of Sitka gear at 40%+ off earlier this week.

Anybody use non camo? Like Ibex, Royal Robbins, or the black ovis stuff? Seems to be a lot cheaper and more often on sale.
Ibex is awesome. I often live in their Indie hoody on hunts and backpacking trips. Lots of good high quality wool options these days, some are an investment.

When these are back in stock they are a steal for a do-it-all mid layer. Darn near patagonia R1 hoody utility for about half the price.
Would be better with a zip but otherwise excellent. You could cut it and add snaps for a few dollars.
http://melanzana.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/34

I use non-camo pants all the time. I think my go to pant is Royal Robbins now that I think about it. There's usually a lot more "natural" camo at leg level ( brush, grass, sage, etc ) as compared to the upper body. At least, that's what I tell myself. Have not had an issue getting in bow range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back