Lowa Boot Options

ajanssen

First off, I know this has been discussed several times before, so I apologize for beating a dead horse. Looking for advice from anyone who has current first hand knowledge since models have been updated.

I've been able to try on some of the lighter weight Lowa boots (Renegade) and the fit is good. I don't have access to anything stiffer locally so my only choice is to order and return what I don't want. Trying to minimize that game as much as possible. With that said I've narrowed down to the Camino GTX or the Ticam II GTX. Both have great reviews, and as far as I can tell the only major difference is stiffer sole of the Ticam.

I'm buying primarily for archery elk hunting in Colorado. In the past we've hunted from horseback so my feet weren't quite as big of concern. This time we're hunting from a spike camp off our backs and will be a few miles in. Will keep my pack as light as possible, guessing around 30# or a little more going in. Obviously much heavier while hauling out (I hope).

Based on this, does anyone have experience or advice on which of these boots might be better suited for my intended use? Will the stiffer sole of the Ticam be warranted, or do you recommend saving the cash and going with the Camino? I may end up ordering both and letting my feet decide, but always appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience that comes from Hunt Talk members.

I don't have experience with those. I have renegades and tibets. If I was looking for a boot that is in between I'd go with the Rangers.

Recommending a sole stiffness for someone else is pretty tough. Some people do the kind of hunting you are talking about with trail running shoes. I never would. I've worn the pretty full gamut of sole/boot types from trail runners to light hikers to full on mountaineering boots. I've setter in the mid range of trekking style boots, which tend to have a thinner shank/insert than backpacking boots do. My current pair are the Lowa Rangers, which replaced the Lowa Baffin Pro.

If you buy Lowa, make sure you use EXACTLY the kind of boot treatment they recommend or you will take it up the ass when you try to get them to warranty your boots should something fail. I will never buy Lowa again as a result of this, but they are very comfortable boots.

I have the Renegades and the Tibet. The Tibet is a heavy boot and overkill for mild terrain, but great for steep, nasty stuff and packing a heavy load. For what it's worth, both models fit me the same. If you can't try on the model you want in person and are hesitant to order online, I would bet you'll be fine from a fit standpoint.

I have owned a pair of Lowa Renegades for years and found them very comfortable from day one. They have been re-glued and sealed and hold up very well. They are my main boots for hiking, fall hunting, and backpacking in summer.

I have both and love them. I agree with the renegades being more of a light weight daily wear boot. The Tibets are awesome but heavier as well.

You can call Lowa customer service and they can give you some input on how the models you're interested in fit compared to something you've worn. For example, I have Tibets in 11.5 and Renegades in 12 - they have EXACTLY the same insole. The guy as CS told me the renegade ran a little large, and in my experience he was right, so I ordered the right size and didn't have to return. I also have the vantage, which is a trekking boot between the renegade and tibet. Seems like perhaps Lowa's trekking line is a good 'do all' boot. I wear mine for work every day.

I live in Colorado and get all my boots (hiking, snowboarding, etc.) from Local Experience in Winter Park. I call ahead the day before, put down a deposit and get scheduled for a boot fitting. The owner does a great job on fit and will cut out custom insoles to match the arch of the foot. The custom fit makes a huge difference and his prices sometimes are actually the same or lower. If you buy a pair of boots from him then you get the deposit back. He has some good brands, but I roll with what he fits on me. Better to have a good boot that fits.

I have Lowa Caminos and they are plenty stiff for me. I found the renegades run smaller than the Caminos.

You can call Lowa customer service and they can give you some input on how the models you're interested in fit compared to something you've worn. For example, I have Tibets in 11.5 and Renegades in 12 - they have EXACTLY the same insole. The guy as CS told me the renegade ran a little large, and in my experience he was right, so I ordered the right size and didn't have to return. I also have the vantage, which is a trekking boot between the renegade and tibet. Seems like perhaps Lowa's trekking line is a good 'do all' boot. I wear mine for work every day.

If the renegades run large why do you have those in a larger size than the Tibet's ?

I recently went through renewing boots and out here in Australia the range is tiny. Then finding someone who will stock what I wanted and attempting to try them on, ie the right sizes was a massive effort; Aussie retailers often just don't get customer service , that or the distributors make it very hard for them.

Lowa Rangers where one of the boots I did try and whilst they felt good I just wanted a boot that was a bit higher. The sole, for me was about right but a little stiffer than I really wanted, using the A-D Category that Meindl uses I really wanted about a B to B/C. I had come from Scarpas that were too stiff, in my opinion, even in the steep ranges as the soles had no feel of what was underfoot and hence could become noisy in wooded areas by unintentionally breaking sticks.

Then I had Miendll Scotlands GTX which were good but in real steep just to flexy and they ended up being about half a size too short on one foot.

I then was put onto Gaerne Falcones and I am very happy with them so far but it is early. They are quality leather and Italian construction. The sole /shank has enough stiffness in them to get toe holds in steep country yet you maintain some feel of the ground surface when stalking. They have a heel to dig in when going straight down steep soft muddy slopes.

I got them locally so I am unsure on US availability. I sourced them through here http://www.gwalking.com.au/store/p1/Falcone.html

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back