Coues hunt

Oneye

I am looking into trying out coues deer hunting Arizona this year. I was just wondering are there usually tags left over still? And really any information on the hunt would be beneficial. PM me if you don't mind helping out. Thanks in advance.

Archery or rifle? Are you looking at specific areas? Specific times of the year? A few more details might help the great folks on this forum.

Archery or rifle? Are you looking at specific areas? Specific times of the year? A few more details might help the great folks on this forum.

Sorry, I was thinking rifle, probably the later hunts. I have looked at some of Arizonas site, I would just like to try it sometime.

There will be leftovers for some of the Coues hunts in some of the units but never leftovers for the the December rifle hunts which catch the pre-rut or an early portion of the rut some years. If you are building points, you will want to wait for the leftover list and try to get one of those tags.

Good question Oneye, here's some info:

For rifle, yes there are tags leftover pretty much every year in some of the units that border Mexico. And surprisingly, those tags actually give you a decent chance at filling your tag! A lot of people prefer not to be that close to the border as there's always the risk of running into border security problems, so people don't apply. The issue is that in order to get one of those tags you have to monitor AZGFD's website, figure out when the tags will be available to the public, then correctly time a mail-in application to get that tag. At least that's what people have told me you have to do. Basically whoever's application is on the top of the mail stack gets the tag. Worth a try I would say if you're just interested in going.

There are also quite a number of tags that stand like a 98% chance to draw for residents. Non-residents are under that 10% max total tags restriction, so that will make it a lot harder to get a tag. But I wouldn't worry too too much about focusing on getting one of the incredibly hard to get tags. All the people I know that are serious coues hunters go every year in units that are almost a guaranteed draw, and they have all shot dandy bucks and few of them have shot 120+ inchers. Big coues can be in any unit. I went on my first hunt last year in a guaranteed draw unit, went in solo about 6 miles from the trailhead, and saw one 100 inch buck, missed an 85ish incher from long range, and then ended up handing my rifle to an 18 year old to shoot a 91 incher since his brother took his rifle to chase another buck. I didn't tag out but that 91 incher I spotted was mine if I didn't feel bad for the kid. He had spotted the same buck during scouting and I felt like it was his even though I was the one who had glassed him.

Point being, try to get a leftover tag if you have the money/time to come down whenever, and if not then try for a tag that's reasonable to draw. Archery is also over the counter for every unit in the state for coues, and it's during the rut. You can take a dandy buck on easy tags to draw if you work hard and get lucky.

There will be tags leftover however their numbers are decreasing. Southern units will have leftovers for all hunts with the exception of the December rut hunts. If you are not trying to build points you should have no problem getting a tag. Leftovers are given out on a first come first served basis by mail only. G & F does not accept early apps for this. Being a resident I mail mine on Saturday knowing it will arrive on Monday for the start

Its pretty much wide open country in southern AZ. some units more rugged than others. A lot of time spent behind glass. The October hunt can be pretty damn hot. Plan on breaking down the deer and getting him on ice. I personally love the Thanksgiving hunt, but that can be hot too. PM me any questions if you'd like.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back