Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Packable Fishing Pole

Forever ago, I used the old tried and true Eagle Claw Trailmaster convertable rod and found it to be "not bad". The rod connection piece is dual install-able so the fly reel is at the butt end, or reverse if for spinning reel attachment at its standard location. My ancient one is fiberglass construction, the one listed on Cabelas catalog states graphite build, and is $70.

A better way for me now includes a Sage 4 piece flyrod, and a 4 piece spinning rod that either one will fit in the rod tube when not in use. All 8 component parts can just fit into the rod tube if I leave the rod cloth out of the equation.

I also have the old fiberglass Eagle Claw combo rod and it is awesome for horseback trips into the backcountry lakes. But I too, find myself using my Sage 4 pc fly rods more often these days.

I would have your son build his own rod. It is a great project for you and him to do together. All the parts you would need can be purchased online and it would get your son "hooked" on the whole backpack fishing experience. I built a rod with my "at the time" eight year old boy and will never forget his response when I asked him what he wanted to name his new fishing rod. His response was, "Dad, lets name the rod 'Kyle's Hooker'." My wife and I looked at each with a brief smile and I said, "How about Kyle's Fish Hooker"?
His mind was made up, "Kyle's Hooker" it should be. Kyle is twenty-one now and I still get a kick out of watching him tell his friends the story of how his fishing rod got it's name.

I would have your son build his own rod. It is a great project for you and him to do together. All the parts you would need can be purchased online and it would get your son "hooked" on the whole backpack fishing experience. I built a rod with my "at the time" eight year old boy and will never forget his response when I asked him what he wanted to name his new fishing rod. His response was, "Dad, lets name the rod 'Kyle's Hooker'." My wife and I looked at each with a brief smile and I said, "How about Kyle's Fish Hooker"?
His mind was made up, "Kyle's Hooker" it should be. Kyle is twenty-one now and I still get a kick out of watching him tell his friends the story of how his fishing rod got it's name.

Thats an awesome story!

Related to that, my wife had a little short pole she grew up using. It was only 18" and had very little action. All three of my kids started with it. Eventually they wanted to try my pole so I would end up using it myself. I have no idea how many fish ive caught with it. I think its had several different reels. If you want to make or rebuild something to pack in, that would work. I think it was a zebco but I'm not sure.

Reason for this particular set up is for small trout up in mountain lakes. I plan to take my son on hike up a lake and camp out a night or two. I plan on letting him fish all day if he wants, or hike around looking for some wild life. Maybe find a spot to get an elk come September lol!

You can do a lot with a 6' spinning rod that breaks down into 2 pieces. Fits fine in a backpack, and you can get cheap ones at Wal-Mart.

Lots of fun in the high mountain lakes with a spinning rod and reel with a casting bubble and a dry fly on the end of it. He will have a blast.

Jose, thats a great idea. I forgot all about casting bubbles. You can fish nymphs and streamers with it too. It may open up some special regulation water that other lures don't cover.

I would pick up a light action Ugly Stick GX2 pack rod. I have 2 and they're good quality. $40

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back