Caribou Gear

Packable Fishing Pole

LandDiver

Anybody have any experience with pack able fishing poles? Something that can easily fit in your hunting pack. Just for trout.

Thank you!

I have a 5 piece Cabelas fly rod. It easily straps to my pack or fits inside it if I have room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 482
I carry a 7FT, 3pc, 3weight Lamiglas fly rod. I think it's the appalachian travel series but I don't think they make it anymore. The factory tube it came in was needlessly long so I bought a shorter one.

Last edited:
Fly or spinning? There are plenty of packable fly rods out there, so I would assume you are talking spinning. I have a pretty nice light action St Croix 4 piece, that is great for packing. I think they go for about $100 at the big box stores.

Whoops sorry. Yes spinner would be preferred. I have no experience with fly rods. It would be for my son (10) to use as well.

I have a zebco that I use I've cought plenty of nice trout with it I just keep my reel of it it.

Collapsible spinning or casting rods do ok but not with big fish or heavy lures. You can usually find one under $50. There are also some that are in smaller peices that you assemble. My experience is that these are generally a better quality and have a little better feel. Probably looking at or just above $50. I will say though, the collapsible poles sure are handy, hook the last eye with your lure and it keeps it collapsed. Its not fancy, but it may let you find out if you really want to pack something in without spending much money. I think ours are shakespear and diawa combos. The diawa was in sections and had a cheap plastic case that would hold a few lures and some sinkers.

I have a 7 piece 7' 4 wt which can be converted to a 6' 6 piece March Brown fly rod. It works really well for backpacking.

Thank you everyone. I'll start looking for them. Hopefully Cabela's or Walmart has some of these so I can see them.

Appreciate it.

Reason for this particular set up is for small trout up in mountain lakes. I plan to take my son on hike up a lake and camp out a night or two. I plan on letting him fish all day if he wants, or hike around looking for some wild life. Maybe find a spot to get an elk come September lol!

Forever ago, I used the old tried and true Eagle Claw Trailmaster convertable rod and found it to be "not bad". The rod connection piece is dual install-able so the fly reel is at the butt end, or reverse if for spinning reel attachment at its standard location. My ancient one is fiberglass construction, the one listed on Cabelas catalog states graphite build, and is $70.

A better way for me now includes a Sage 4 piece flyrod, and a 4 piece spinning rod that either one will fit in the rod tube when not in use. All 8 component parts can just fit into the rod tube if I leave the rod cloth out of the equation.

Back