Best Paper maps

MazzHunter

I am planning for this years elk hunt into a new area here in CO. I have all of the online / computer resources for maps, google earth and topos.

My question is what have you guys found to be good detailed paper maps for a back country hunt?

Forest service? Nat Geo?

Also, I do have a CO Gazetteer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Probably not the best, but certainly worth getting is a Gazateer. I use this for a general overlay of the land

Nat Geo are my favorite if they cover the area.

As 406 said, a Gazateer is worth having.

BLM surface ownership maps is what I mostly carry.

Last edited:
Agree on Gazetteer. If you're fairly well dialed in on the area you are going to hunt you can download/print really good quality .pdf aerials with topo from the USGS Map Store.

Yes mytopo. Also if you don't have a good app for your phone backcountry navigator for android is my go to. There's a great forest service map on it.

Mytopo will allow you to create a custom map including private/public boundaries, uploaded personal waypoint data, etc.; all scaled to whatever detail you prefer and printed on waterproof plasticized paper, for approximately 30 bucks. 1:50,000 scaling provides excellent coverage and adequate detail to read the topography. The maps are worth every penny, IMO.

Another for mytopo. I also like forest service maps. Forest service map has a few more details the mytopo doesnt...but it doesnt have the topography.

Those two work for me, but im not adverse to getting more. If one map has information that could be useful that another doesnt it's worth it to me even if I only look at it once. Information is never a bad thing.

I'm a map guy.Have a file cabinet half full.Have some of the 1st FS topos made. Watercolor lithos.
USGS & Nat Geo great maps. BLM's a must have in NM.
Mytopo for my honeyholes I go to year after year or those once in a lifetime hunts,excellent maps.
They will fade if left in sunlight but hard to wear them out.

You'll need a national forest travel map to identify motorized and nonmotorized routes. This will help you find places to hunt and it will help you get around. The best place to buy them is the national forest foundation store. https://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/

I also like to have a detailed topographical map. Mytopo maps are the best, but USGS quads work just fine.

One more late vote for MyTopo. I (color code) mark the crud out of them too. I have OnXMaps as well and can't say enough good about it, but something about pen and paper just feels right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back