Caribou Gear Tarp

WY Unit 47

Dhosera

Looking to burn points this year and looking hard at Unit 47. There is very little reading material on unit 47 so does anyone have any insight into quality / quantity of animals? We'd really like to do this Archery if possible so we are hoping for some decent terrain for stalking and a decent population to chase. From the limited research materials available looks like we'd draw with 5 pref points and it looks like the harvest stats are pretty decent as well.

Also while out here we'd like to scout for a Muley in the same area. Anyone have any insight on the Muley's in the same area? I don't know that Pronghorn and Muley seasons really coincide with eachother to offer a combo type hunt so focus on goats, but keep an eye open for deer:)

Appreciate any insight.

The local BLM biologists have been very helpful when I've been researching antelope units. I'd start with both them and the state biologist in the area.

I hunted 47 last season. There was no shortage of antelope. I can't say much regarding trophy quality because I'm an opportunity hunter, not a trophy hunter. I can say that the bucks I saw tended to be bigger than bucks I've seen in the other units I've hunted, but, to give you an idea of the types of units I hunt, last season was the first time I applied for a tag with less than 100% draw odds.

I think the idea that quantity or quality of pronghorn in any Wyoming unit varies that much with PP's required/difficult of draw is silly. Hard to draw units just have more public land and are therefore easier to navigate and provide more ground to look over good animals.

I think the idea that quantity or quality of pronghorn in any Wyoming unit varies that much with PP's required/difficult of draw is silly. Hard to draw units just have more public land and are therefore easier to navigate and provide more ground to look over good animals.

After hunting Wyoming all but one year since 1997 I would definitely have to disagree with those comments.

My prediction would be that you will have a great antelope hunt and so-so mule deer hunt in antelope area 47. There are lots of deer down there, but nice bucks are pretty few in my experience.

47 isn't. a bad unit at all.I would look more towards unit 73,75,in that area.I drove all across the state last year and up in those units areas is where I saw the biggest bucks,and highest population.You should draw either of those in special draw I think

47 is a great area and the ratios are high for bucks. Population is up and stable. Was known for a long time as the area for trophy antelope, years back before drought. Large area some terrain and some water for archery hunting. Sage grouse hunting too. I would pick 47 over 73 &75 , but I have hunted 47 many times and none in 73, 75. I know winter has not been bad in 47 , 73 and 75 may be just fine but north enough to wonder. The biologist would definitely be a good call to make.

Thank you for the responses. We are going to try 47 this year Archery Style! Should be a fun hunt no matter what the outcome. Looking forward to coming back to hunt Wyoming this fall! I drew a North Dakota Mulie Tag this year so I think I'll forego the marginal mulie hunting and concentrate on Antelope. Pry mix in some Coyote calling and prairie dog hunting too while there.

Can 47 be hunted effectively while staying Casper? My wife will be accompanying me for her first western experience and we will most likely not be camping.

It's a drive but not too far. You might inquire in Medicine Bow, The Virginian Hotel. Older historic place, might be fun for a night. Bessemer Bend area might have some lodging, a little west of Casper.

It's a drive but not too far. You might inquire in Medicine Bow, The Virginian Hotel. Older historic place, might be fun for a night. Bessemer Bend area might have some lodging, a little west of Casper.
No lodging in Bessemer bend.

Looking at 47 this year too. I'll be going solo so if I draw looks like I'll be camping.

Back