Congressional Support for Corner Crossing: BHA

Why can't we get this settled? . Someone with a financial backing should corner cross near landowners that don't allow it. Kill a bull, buck, bear etc. video the whole thing. Make it publically available. Presumably get cited and fight it like hell. Get a court ruling.

Would this work?

Why can't we get this settled? . Someone with a financial backing should corner cross near landowners that don't allow it. Kill a bull, buck, bear etc. video the whole thing. Make it publically available. Presumably get cited and fight it like hell. Get a court ruling.

Would this work?
Not if you don't get cited...

This member signed yesterday.
BHA and threads like this makes it easy for us that don't know politics to help with emails, calls, and signatures.
Keep it up fellas.

Not if you don't get cited...

I wondered about the specific laws with regard to test cases, maybe a hunt talk lawyer could provide some insight... could for instance I corner cross on my buddies property and have him file a lawsuit with the underlying intention to get a court ruling in my favor and therefore set precedent?

I wondered about the specific laws with regard to test cases, maybe a hunt talk lawyer could provide some insight... could for instance I corner cross on my buddies property and have him file a lawsuit with the underlying intention to get a court ruling in my favor and therefore set precedent?
There are much cheaper ways to ruin a friendship.

Signed. Corner crossing just makes sense. Prohibiting people from stepping across public lands that touch one another is truly ridiculous. Glad to see BHA lending a helping hand to hopefully make this a reality across all the states that have this problem.

... could for instance I corner cross on my buddies property and have him file a lawsuit with the underlying intention to get a court ruling in my favor and therefore set precedent?
Although that might set an important legal precedent, I would prefer legislative action at some level to establish clear and irrefutable public access law. Too often the ploy seems to be to "game" the issue in order to prevail in litigation, assuming some far-reaching impacts.

Although that might set an important legal precedent, I would prefer legislative action at some level to establish clear and irrefutable public access law. Too often the ploy seems to be to "game" the issue in order to prevail in litigation, assuming some far-reaching impacts.

Agreed I would rather see the issue settled through legislation... that said even if a corner crossing bill passes a landowner could still file suit against someone doing it and then the issue would be settled in court. Courts always have the final say in our system, so I think an argument could be made that a test case is actually the best way to get the issue settled once and for all.

Agreed I would rather see the issue settled through legislation... that said even if a corner crossing bill passes a landowner could still file suit against someone doing it and then the issue would be settled in court. Courts always have the final say in our system, so I think an argument could be made that a test case is actually the best way to get the issue settled once and for all.
I believe that if it was legal in statute, said landowner would have to file suit against an entity (state) vs. "someone." What DA would agree to press charges against someone that was legal by statute?

I believe that if it was legal in statute, said landowner would have to file suit against an entity (state) vs. "someone." What DA would agree to press charges against someone that was legal by statute?

What LEO would issue a citation to someone that is exercising a legal right defined in statute in the first place?

Once corner crossing is defined as legal access in statute, there would have to be a legal challenge to the law (just like you said).

Fair point. Although if your making a bunch of money off of the current system I can see you fighting to keep it that way... what happens when a landowner builds an extra high barb wire fence with razor wire on cady-corner corners to keep people from exercising their legal right to cross on the corner? I'm definitely playing devils advocate and while I absolutely hope legislation is passed the pessimist in me thinks corner crossing will be a ongoing issue no mater what happens.

I agree that getting a bill passed is better than a court ruling, but in reality this isn't passing. I've called and emailed etc., but I'll be shocked if this passes and rather surprised if it even gets 5 republicans to vote for it.

I corner cross all the time and have been 'caught' and not gotten in trouble, but I won't do it while hunting, at least not unless I have a 'legal' means to get an animal out if I were successful. Being charged, possibly prosecuted and lumped in with poachers isn't a risk I'm willing to take, at least not until I have more $$ to waste on lawyers.

I agree that getting a bill passed is better than a court ruling, but in reality this isn't passing. I've called and emailed etc., but I'll be shocked if this passes and rather surprised if it even gets 5 republicans to vote for it.

I corner cross all the time and have been 'caught' and not gotten in trouble, but I won't do it while hunting, at least not unless I have a 'legal' means to get an animal out if I were successful. Being charged, possibly prosecuted and lumped in with poachers isn't a risk I'm willing to take, at least not until I have more $$ to waste on lawyers.

Its common practice in Wyoming for hunting.

I'm going to park on the freeway right-of-way, then cross a corner to hunt a pronghorn this fall...just because...I can.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back