• Winchester

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Hornady

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NVDesertHunter

Hello Gents,

Wanted to ask the reloading group what their preferred brass is from the list below:

Nosler
Winchester
Hornady
Norma

Purposely leaving out Lapua bc I am fireforming factory loaded .280 Remington copper bullets into .280AI

thanks,

I don't have any experience with Norma, but I've heard it's top quality. Of those you have listed I have used Nosler and Hornady. I would chose Nosler over Hornady. I wouldn't touch Winchester. In my opinion their brass is not worth my time/money. I've found it to be horribly inconsistent in quality.

I've used Norma for my 280AI fire forming with great results. I'm on my 7th reload with some of the brass. I think I am getting to the end of the life-cycle on some due to the primer pockets opening up. I'm running a 145 Barnes LRX over 60.8 IMR 7828SSC, it's a warm load in my chamber producing MV of 3050fps.

My go to is Lapua but Norma is my second choice. In the past I would have said Winchester third but the last batch was all over the place.

I'd not rule out Lapua. Neck the 30-06 down to form a false shoulder, then fireform. Many AI aficionados prefer this method...

Nosler/Norma are one in the same in some chamberings. On a related note, I can build/load fireform loads that are much cheaper than any factory load.

I've shot mostly Winchester and Remington over the years...but have used hornady, federal, and norma as well.

Cant really tell a nickels worth of difference between any of them.

Never have dabbled in the more expensive brass.

Another vote for Lapua. Picked up a batch a while back for a .308, pest prepped and most consistent factory brass I've ever seen.

Other than that, I've typically worked with Winchester primarily because it's always been available for the WSM's...

It seems each lot of brass has difference in powder capacity. I did a test with a 270 using Federal, Remington & Winchester brass. I used the same load, primer, powder and bullet and then chronographed them during the same range session. Each load shot well and the SD's were similar. One thing that stood out was the difference in average velocity from each brand. Case capacity is real and does make a difference. The variance from one brand to another was up to 100 fps.
When working up a hunting load near max make sure you use the same lot of brass as pressures can change and be an issue.

Thanks for the replies,

My reasoning for leaving out lapua is they do not offer a factory loaded nonlead round. They would be my first choice if they did, and this poll would of not existed.

My theory for fireforming factory loads is knowing where a specific .280 Remington cartridge shoots in my .280AI rifle if I forget/lose my handloads while traveling and have to buy off the shelf.

Federal is not on the list bc I have had previous issues with their brass.

I just opened a bag of winchester 7MM WSM that I've been sitting on for a few years. This stuff is getting hard to find! I was actually very disappointed in it. Since Winchester is the only company making 7MM WSM to my knowledge I suppose I'm kind of stuck. More than a few of them had what I could only describe as deformities (grooves) on the neck. I may just end up turning them down but I'm not even sure if that would get rid of the problem.

Of the ones listed, I've only tried Norma & Win and would go with Norma, but I prefer Federal brass ahead of either.

Thanks for the replies,

My reasoning for leaving out lapua is they do not offer a factory loaded nonlead round. They would be my first choice if they did, and this poll would of not existed.

My theory for fireforming factory loads is knowing where a specific .280 Remington cartridge shoots in my .280AI rifle if I forget/lose my handloads while traveling and have to buy off the shelf.

Federal is not on the list bc I have had previous issues with their brass.
Finding/buying non-lead 280 factory ammo could be a "hunt" in and of itself in many places...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back