scope upgrade

Aaron KS197

Looking to upgrade the scope on a ruger M77 7mm. The current scope is a 3-9x40. I'm looking for something that will help with shooting longer distances and at a decent price. I am open for suggestions?

What is it that you can't hit with your present set up? IMHO you would to better off to do a lot of target practice at whatever ranges you feel is "way out there" from field positions. GJ

You didn't mention how much you want to spend..my .02

Vortex hst 6x24x50- for just over $600 you won't find a scope with a better warranty and features

Last edited:
Leupold vx3i, several scopes that could work out. Will you just be using the rig for deer/elk? Elk are easier to hit since they have a bigger body size, you don't need as high a power. GJ

I recently installed an SWFA SS 10x42 (classic) scope on my long(er) range 7mm-08. This 30mm scope is built to withstand the abuse of hunting (and combat) and the glass is robust for the price point of the scope (under $300) It compares well with several of my more expensive scopes (Leupold VX2, Nikon and others). I have the MOA version and tracking (elevation and windage) is spot-on. The 10x power will get me well past the longest range I will hunt large game. I particularly like the reticle and I am currently working up loads and ballistics for an upcoming antelope hunt. The scope has a great history (originally manufactured for a Navy contract). I am considering another one for my 300 WM. By the way, SWFA bought the rights of this scope from....Tasco. Don't let this stop you. It is a really nice scope.

If you order today, you can get 10% off the sale price of a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 standard duplex reticle at Optics Planet. Total is $314. That's a bargain for a decent piece of glass with a great warranty. Needs 30mm rings though.

I'll also second a VX3. Best in class.

The problem with going "longer" is you need a larger objective lens which adds weight and you typically lose the low end. I have no use for a variable hunting scope that doesn't start at 3-4x. A 6-20x may be fine for long range target shooting, but it's worthless on a hunting rifle.

I've reached the point where I have the same scope on my hunting rifles, Leupold Vx3, 1.75x6.0. Same magnification set at 4x, same eye relief, same weight and mounts, everything is the same except chambering. All Weatherby Mark V's, 26 inch barrels. I don't have to adjust to anything different, just aim and shoot. GJ

you think the same 3-9-40 in a better scope will help out that much?

Absolutely; no doubt in my mind... based upon my experience.

The VX3 3.5-10x40mm is a good one if your heart is set on variable. I've become rather hooked on fixed 6x scopes of late and they do everything I need including ringing steel plates out to 500 meters.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back