Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

UK deer hunting season drawing to a close

devon deer

But not soon enough for this unfortunate Red stag, i have been chasing ghosts for weeks, nothing has been going right, finding fresh tracks, smelling them, hearing them, but not finding them!
This morning, same thing, fresh tracks going through the grass disturbing the dew, nothing found.
Out this evening, i saw 8 hinds on another farm i can't shoot on, but then bingo, out came 4 stags, but unsafe and i knew within a minute they would smell me, yep, sure enough they did and turned to return to the safety of the wood, but i did a loud 'bark' and stopped them, free hand shot at only 60 yards, it ran off with a leg swinging which worried me a little, could of had another stag but let it go, i went down over the field and there it was, heart shot with the Nosler Partition 180 grain, job done, well almost, rang the farmer to get his tractor, he was just going to bed, whoops!

Cheers
Richard

Congratulations Richard. Job well done. Were the other stags in the same age class or was he the big boy in the group?

Congrats! Things have been fairly quiet from your side of the water lately. Wondered if you were hunting or too busy with other things. Now I know.

Thanks chaps, he wasn't the biggest, i could have shot the better stag but left him to pass on his genes, the other 2 were young stags but for most of the time were in an unsafe position to shoot, 61 million people living a country that fits inside Montana 2 1/2 times there is always the chance someone could be walking in the background where they shouldn't.
I have been knocking over a fair few hinds/does this winter.
Just lately i am seeing a lot more Roe Bucks, but they are still in velvet.
Cheers
Richard

Nice Stag! I saw a bunch of hinds and stags on the Isle of Skye 2 weeks ago and it got me excited to do a UK hunt sometime in the future. That said I'm really not into the canned hunt feel and I was wondering if it was possible to do anything like a western style spot and stalk hunt in the UK? I understand that you aren't going to have a public land DIY hunt, but is it possible to go unguided and camp? I know Steven Rinella did a Red Stag hunt in the highlands (back in the wild within days before meateater) and they wouldn't even let him carry his rifle, left trip such a sour taste in his mouth that he has said hunting Scotland was his worst hunting trip on numerous podcasts. I think I would rather just back pack and take pics if I had to deal with that crap.

Nice Stag! I saw a bunch of hinds and stags on the Isle of Skye 2 weeks ago and it got me excited to do a UK hunt sometime in the future. That said I'm really not into the canned hunt feel and I was wondering if it was possible to do anything like a western style spot and stalk hunt in the UK? I understand that you aren't going to have a public land DIY hunt, but is it possible to go unguided and camp? I know Steven Rinella did a Red Stag hunt in the highlands (back in the wild within days before meateater) and they wouldn't even let him carry his rifle, left trip such a sour taste in his mouth that he has said hunting Scotland was his worst hunting trip on numerous podcasts. I think I would rather just back pack and take pics if I had to deal with that crap.

Nope, not a chance. Hike all you want on the trails, but no hunting.

Nope, not a chance. Hike all you want on the trails, but no hunting.

Dave, so you don't think you could find a landowner that would let you go self-guided on their estate for a fee? I mean I would even pay the full guided price if they would just let me do my own thing, if I'm being pampered it just ruins the experience for me. If I wanted to just shoot a stag I could go to texas... I would rather actually hunt one...

Also I'm guessing using a stick bow would be out of the question?

Last edited:
Dave, so you don't think you could find a landowner that would let you go self-guided on their estate for a fee? I mean I would even pay the full guided price if they would just let me do my own thing, if I'm being pampered it just ruins the experience for me. If I wanted to just shoot a stag I could go to texas... I would rather actually hunt one...

Also I'm guessing using a stick bow would be out of the question?

OK, leave it with me, i will find out.

What i can say with absolute certainty, you can only use a rifle to hunt deer in the UK.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard! Mostly just trying to figure out if it's legal... I kinda got the sense from that episode of Wild Within that non-resident aliens had to go guided, maybe it's just the policy of most landowner?

Thanks Richard! Mostly just trying to figure out if it's legal... I kinda got the sense from that episode of Wild Within that non-resident aliens had to go guided, maybe it's just the policy of most landowner?
The trouble is, although Scotland is part of the UK (don't get me started on that one!) they do have different laws, so i need to find out for you.
Cheers
Richard

The trouble is, although Scotland is part of the UK (don't get me started on that one!) they do have different laws, so i need to find out for you.
Cheers
Richard

My grand 4 of my great grand parents were born in Scotland so my grand parents had some strong opinions on that issue as well... which was funny because they had absolutely no skin in the game... needless to say I know what it's like to open that can of worms

Congratulations and Waidmannsheil Richard! Nice one!
It´s hard to wait until 1st of may when the hunt for roe bucks starts here.

Dirk

Congratulations and Waidmannsheil Richard! Nice one!
It´s hard to wait until 1st of may when the hunt for roe bucks starts here.

Dirk
Thanks Dirk,

I now what you mean in relation to the Roe Buck hunt, in the UK ours starts on the 1st April (April fools day no less!) but this year i will be holding off on them until a member on here joins me in July.
I have been seeing some, but they are still in velvet, i guess yours are also still in velvet?

Cheers

Richard

If that is the midsize version, then the big boy must have been quite impressive. Once those roe bucks harden up and are in season, don't hold off on my account. I will be happy with one simple Gold Medal six point.;) In all seriousness, just getting out and hunting in England will be a completely new experience regardless of the outcome. Like many on here know, half the fun of a big hunt is in the planning, and this one is no different. RoeStalker, Fieldsports Channel, and Cervus UK Youtube accounts are receiving quite a few views from me recently. Looking forward to our hunt in July.

I have never seen a Gold medal Roe Buck, in my county there are very rare, probably due to the nutrients, or lack of in our soil, but don't worry, i will work my butt off to find you a Roe Buck, it won't be for lack of trying on our part, and don't forget the fishing!
I promise i will not hunt any Roe until you have been, i want you to have the best possible chance of success.
Those 2 YouTube channels are great, i spoke to Cervus UK once, (Owen Beardsmore) seems like a really decent chap.
If i get time tomorrow i will post up some pics of my best trophies, maybe beside my Mule/Whitetail as a comparison, i have a really nice Red stag!

Cheers

Richard

Yes Richard.
The most are still in velvet. But some of the old boys are starting to get rid of it.
I´m lucky to live in the coutryside outside of the village. This year i have the chance to hunt around my house.
See several bucks the last days. Nothing special and all still in velvet.
I will probably wait until the rut too. Sometimes completely unknown bucks appear.
We will see.

Dirk

Richard,
I am just kidding about my "Gold Medal" expectations. If we find a good representation of the species it will be "icing on the cake". The experience of the hunt and being part of what it means to hunt in the UK is what I am most looking forward to on this trip. All my hunting has been in the backcountry, so hunting big game near farmland will be a new experience for me. I have shot plenty of upland birds and waterfowl in or near farmland but never big game. And I haven't forgot the fishing. With all the water we have been getting this winter and spring, I don't know when our rivers will get below flood stage. Hopefully it will be before July, so I can get in a little casting practice before I head over to your place.

Back