meat hauling day pack?

A hunting pack doesn't necessarily have to be marketed as one. There are lots of backpacking type packs that are more than capable of handling heavy loads.

Look for a pack that has an adjustable suspension with functional load lifters, and a stiff contoured belt. Lots of good options listed here.

Got a used MR Crewcab for day hunts,scouting & such.Great pack for that ,but not for real heavy loads, for me. My go to hunt pack now. Good for backstraps & 1st load. Or relaying an animal out. Love the way it rides in thick stuff,but a bit noisy.
I still use my E-stock J-104.It fits my long torso and is comfortable all day long,for me. Very comfortable going thru brush or under trees & qiuet.
Hear of folks who say they are heavy or it carries bad. Never had a problem,but it is large.With the camp/bivy I can carry alot. Too much.
Have a 25 yr old Alaska freighter with pack. That is always in the truck for heavy hauling,if I do not have to go thru brush/trees off trail alot. Then it's a pain.
Sold 2 frame packs & 3 rucksacks a few years ago that were taking up space.

Last edited:
I'm cheap and don't haul that much meat, but I have a Osprey Kestrel 38 that works well for me. Pros - 3lb, $160, holds plenty gear for day trips, has built in trekking pole holder, works with kifaru gunbearer, will haul a boned out elk quarter. Cons-not camo, not made in USA, not great with with much over 40 lbs, could be quieter material, not good for overnight trips.

I'm also an Eberly X2 user, I use it as a day pack and then use a Cabela's Alaskan frame to haul out after my first trip to camp. The X2 has never given me issues and will haul a bull hind quarter packed appropriately.

Someone just posted a smoking deal on a Kifaru pack over on AT in the western hunting classifieds.

IMG_0055.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering - post above is a bag only, no frame. Current price is $575 for everything...

With that said - if you look around you can find some pretty good deals on kifaru frames if it's not the newest model, and then buy your bag of choice used off of Rokslide classifieds...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back