Colorado unit 64

Chester

A buddy of mine just got 80 acres in this unit. He's talking about trying it for elk. Being from the PNW we have never hunted Rockies and are wondering if anyone has any info on the area. He hasn't even been down to see the property yet. Looking from the screen it appears to have a lot of blm around it and otc bulk tags. Any info is appreciated :confused:

Unit is mostly adobe hills desert w some pinon/juniper @ higher elevations along the rim of Black Canyon. More like muley country, but there are bound to be some elk in there. Fishing in the Gorge is very good.

Plenty of elk and deer in 64. Depending on where the property is, it could be a gold mine of big game, or a field of prairie dogs.

If snows are heavy, it could get crazy good in 3rd and 4th seasons.

Chester, I recommend you take a look at the Colorado hunting atlas on Colorado's big game website.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx

On this page look for the "Colorado Hunting Atlas" from a normal computer. It will show you winter and summer ranges for deer and elk by toggling different buttons. This will give you a good idea if there are elk or deer on your property and at what times of the year. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Is this property fenced and marked with "No Hunting or Trespassing" signs? Can it be controlled to prevent hunters from OTC area or BLM hunters from venturing onto the property. If not, I don't see a whole lot of difference than hunting on public land. If there is no place for the Elk to find refuge and safety, it might not be any better than BLM. I suppose if the property is more of a square, and has more area for things to calm down, it could very well be your own private honey hole.

There is a resident elk herd that resides from the Bostwick park area to near Cimmaron. There is an outfitter that leases a bunch of ground in the area and the elk herd is small and moves around a lot. Areas where the elk stay are mostly private and the limited public ground (BLM) gets pounded. The elk know where to go when the shooting starts as there are a few non/limited hunting properties. The majority of good hunting ground is private ground w/ cedars/oaks near the agricultural fields. Plenty of bears, cats, deer, an occasional chuckar and an occasional turkey.

I have no idea if it's fenced or marked. Honestly 80 acres doesn't get me real excited for anything but base camp for elk hunting. Just putting the feelers out because he wants to make a trip down this fall . Sounds like we would be looking at 3rd season A tags(bull) for the area.
He hasn't been to the property in 20 + years, he inherited last year from a family member passing.
Planning on making a trip down in the next few months to get a look at the lay of the land and the condition of the property.
Would look at deer tags but to what little I know about Colorado they seem to be a hit or miss proposition versus an otc hunt.

After doing some scouting, you might find a wallow or spruce thicket that could be a magnet for a big bull. You never know! Let us know what you find. Looking at google Earth might very well give you an idea of the layout of the property.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back