Caribou Gear

Question about the Leupold CDS system

prhunter

Can I use a Leupold CDS scope with the factory turret or do I need to send in my load info and have a custom one made??? Thanks

If you are asking if you can use the supplied MOA dial, yes you can. Takes a bit more work is all. mtmuley

The factory turret is fine and is graduated in MOA and not ranges specific to your rifle/load combo. I use most of my CDS scopes with the factory turret and attach a dope sheet to my rifle stock for come ups in MOA. This allows me the freedom of using several different bullet/powder combos and still be able to quickly dial to for drop.

The factory turret is fine and is graduated in MOA and not ranges specific to your rifle/load combo. I use most of my CDS scopes with the factory turret and attach a dope sheet to my rifle stock for come ups in MOA. This allows me the freedom of using several different bullet/powder combos and still be able to quickly dial to for drop.

This is your answer.

I prefer the CDS for hunting applications. I've been in too many situations where quick range and shoot is required. It's nice to have it very simple.

I love the VX6 with the CDS. Their web application lets you choose custom or factory loads. I picked a factory load and I've tried other loads of similar BC and speed and the CDS works fine for normal hunting ranges (<400 yds). It's much easier than a dope sheet and counting clicks in my opinion. Plus I calculate a +/- 3" Max Point Blank Range for each load and start my scope on the MPBR range zero crossing. Then, if I know the animal's within range, it's point and click.

Another cheap option is to simply mark or print out custom turret labels instead of a dope sheet. Then you just quickly dial to your "3" or "3.5"

Do the factory/MOA turrets now come with a zero stop? They didn't in the past, but there are some tutorials on how to properly install one. Without the zero stop it's possible to get off a whole revolution and not know it...

Back