PEAX Equipment

Big Brown

That's the public section
I was pretty sure you were on the upper stretches but couldn't place that field and wasn't sure if you were there or down on the lower section of private water. I've been gone 15 years but it still looks the same.

Most people who see this don't realize what an accomplishment this is. If there was a fish equivalent of shooting a 170" whitetail back east this is it. Flyfishing only, 25' wide spring creek that has people fishing it every day and on weekends there might be 15-20 people coming through in a day. The fish have all the food they could ever want and more and are very picky. That fish could quite possibly be the fish of a lifetime for that stream. Well done!

I was pretty sure you were on the upper stretches but couldn't place that field and wasn't sure if you were there or down on the lower section of private water. I've been gone 15 years but it still looks the same.

Most people who see this don't realize what an accomplishment this is. If there was a fish equivalent of shooting a 170" whitetail back east this is it. Flyfishing only, 25' wide spring creek that has people fishing it every day and on weekends there might be 15-20 people coming through in a day. The fish have all the food they could ever want and more and are very picky. That fish could quite possibly be the fish of a lifetime for that stream. Well done!

Great way to put it. Picky doesn't describe it though. Its more like psychic about what is food and what is fake. That fish is one of may in that stream but one of only handful caught.

Great way to put it. Picky doesn't describe it though. Its more like psychic about what is food and what is fake. That fish is one of may in that stream but one of only handful caught.

Hence my preference of fishing it when it is high and muddy with an outsized streamer. No one else is fishing and browns seem to let their guard down a bit. My personal best day of streamer fishing was six fish between 16" and 19" in two hours. Most days, I was lucky to catch six fish total and if one was better than 14" I was happy. Not uncommon at all to come away with one or two fish or even none in an afternoon of fishing. And that was my home water. I did better than most.

Your spring creek reminds me of something I once read a review of an oft fished stretch of South Platte above Deckers: that the fish there don't have bachelors in fly fishing or even a masters in hydrology, they have their PhD's in fly identifications.

What a beautiful monster of a fish. Surely the king of that stretch of stream.

Not that it would be any less impressive coming from a different water system, but that perspective makes it that much cooler.

Great fish!

Thanks for the kind words guys. No doubt mossy is tough. I live 5 minutes from the stream so I do know the water well, which helps make up for my fly fishing skills. A good day for me on that water is 3 trout, and anything over 10" is big. I've caught thousands of trout on both spinning gear and fly, but I get a different sense of accomplishment on this stream.

Back