Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Which side of the hill do elk like to bed in?

m0sfet

Just wondering if they like to bed on the south side of the hill or north side of the hill. Or maybe they just don't care? Thanks.

My experience is elk "prefer" to bed on the north facing slopes, because these slopes are out of the direct sunlight which equates to a lot of things (typically cooler, more vegetation for security, moist soils, etc.). The key word is "prefer". If you are fortunate to hunt an area where they are undisturbed and it's not "hot", then they will bed just about anywhere.

I agree with JMG above for the most part. The ambient temperature makes a big difference to unpressured animals. Hot weather will push them into deep cool pockets on north facing slopes, GENERALLY!
Cold weather may persuade them to lay out on more southerly facing sunny hillsides.
Hunting pressure may screw this up a bit but we don't hunt near the road on this website so we are usually hunting pressure free zones��.

But there are plenty of south facing slopes that hold elk, even during the day. I hunted a long mountain range in Colorado, where only the south slope was in my unit. There were plenty of places that had the characteristics that elk like on north facing slopes; shade, dark timber, etc. And, that's where the elk were bedding!

When it's warm... usually always north. Climb up the south facing side of the mountain it'll be like a desert. North side will look like a rainforest in comparison. Lots of shade to keep the animals cool. Certain things can screw this up, but for the most part, moss grows on the North side of the tree for a reason.

I find a fair amount of elk on East ridges. There will be little finger ridges that come off that form a North slope. I have even found elk bedded on the west side on the north facing finger ridges. This is earlier in the year (archery).

So you could say north slopes.

Elk will always bed down on the side of the hill they are on when they bed down. mtmuley
Word.
And here in NM you can throw out half the elk logic you think you know.
They can migrate UP in winter & will bed in the open in summer.
I've snuck up SW ridges to get to north&east slopes where THE SHADE IS & had a huge bull pop up from under a juniper & show me the trail mid day. Wind still in my face as I get to his long used bed & it's nice & cool under that one juniper on a SW side ridge.

I'd say generally North facing slopes with dark timber. But the key word here is "generally". The only real rule of thumb that applies to elk is this: elk are where you find them.

up here in N ID and NE WA we get thick heavy timber on all faces. Some of my best spots to hunt the elk are on west faces

I've found them laying in the sun on the south side when I thought they'd be on the north side staying cool.

Hunting pressure also has an impact on this. In an area that I frequently hunt, I've noticed that they'll bed on the side of the ridge that's facing away from the pressure.

Don't forget about the benches. Those landforms that jut out perpendicular from the predominant slopes. Elk often like to bed on these narrow precipices as the thermals bring the air currents bearing stranger danger scents up to them on 3 sides. So, I'd never overlook a bench, and would in fact check them out first for sign, etc. Other than that, in even moderate temperatures, I'd bet Elk would prefer a cool, North side slope than the much warmer South side, all other things being relatively equal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back