PEAX Equipment

Upper CO River sheep (and trout)

cedahm

A lot of the Sheep projects don't get the press they deserve, IMO. We've floated the upper Colorado for many years, prior to 2008 it was devoid of sheep despite the good habitat. In 2008/9 a small herd was transplanted there, and then augmented again in 2013/14. They've just started to issue 1 ram tag/year, as well. I don't remember ever reading anything about it, but one year they were just 'there'.

We floated yesterday and the fishing wasn't fast and furious (water temp is still pretty low), but saw a band of 7 rams that fed 250 yards above us for close to an hour. Even a few half-hearted head butts. 3 of the rams were solid, and 1 I would guess was from the original transplant - could see his 4 year ring prominently and looked even or slightly below his ear.

The sheep are now, if not common, not unexpected in the winter and early spring float season. Apologies for the fuzzy pic. I need to remember to bring my glass/phoneskope on the boat.

IMG_4195.jpgIMG_4194.jpg

P.S. Obligatory grip-and-grin

IMG_4204.jpg

Awesome to hear. I'll be floating the Upper Colorado in a couple weeks so I'll definitely keep an eye on the hills. Saw a decent herd this morning in Clear Creek Canyon and they looked pretty healthy. I want to catch that Brownie!

Cool! Rafting, rams, and browns make for a great day!

Is that Aire orange I see?

I've been slowly getting back into the rafting scene in the last few years. Love it.

Very nice. RMBS and auction and raffle funds covered a substantial portion of the cost of those transplants, as well as extensive habitat work in the area that has been completed and is upcoming.

Cool! Rafting, rams, and browns make for a great day!

Is that Aire orange I see?

I've been slowly getting back into the rafting scene in the last few years. Love it.

Both are RMR boats (http://www.rockymountainrafts.com/rafts.html). AAA frame on the green boat and DRE frame on the Orange one. The Orange one is my nephew's new 16 footer - affectionately called the 'Ocean Liner' - it's a giant, but it handles really really well.

Very nice. RMBS and auction and raffle funds covered a substantial portion of the cost of those transplants, as well as extensive habitat work in the area that has been completed and is upcoming.

I thought RMBS might have been involved in that. Was just surprised that there wasn't much public press out there. Feel free to PM me if you guys have any upcoming work in there this summer and need volunteers. We are in there a lot. Same goes for any Waterton projects since it's just down the road from home.

Depends how "upper" you were but they sure are elusive lil critters aren't they? Wish it was an archery tag, or better yet "hand thrown spear" tag! Had to zoom out just to get them in the frame.

DSC04393 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC04391 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Depends how "upper" you were but they sure are elusive lil critters aren't they? Wish it was an archery tag, or better yet "hand thrown spear" tag! Had to zoom out just to get them in the frame.

Awesome shots, squirrel!!

The rams Saturday were just above the entrance to needle eye rapid.

Last time I did that was in my 17 ft Grumman and it was called lots of names, none official... visualize the scene where Burt breaks his leg in "Deliverance" Only no piggy squeal scene... and a very soggy squirrel floated out of the bottom end, hanging onto a rope attached to an underwater canoe! Don't recall seeing any rams, but they would have had to be snorkeling for me to see 'em.

We just completed a Bachelor flotilla for my Nephew Thursday->Sunday (Pumphouse to Catamount) and when I drove in Wednesday night that same band of rams was 25 yards off the road and had picked up a couple youngsters:

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 10.34.06 AM.jpg

Back