MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MT: Gianforte vs Quist

Fox News was in the room and just reported.

The race to fill Montana's sole seat in the U.S. House of Representatives took a violent turn Wednesday, and a crew from the Fox News Channel, including myself, witnessed it firsthand. As part of our preparation for a story about Thursday's special election to air on "Special Report with Bret Baier," we arranged interviews with the top two candidates, Republican Greg Gianforte and Democrat Rob Quist. On Wednesday, I joined field producer Faith Mangan and photographer Keith Railey in Bozeman for our scheduled interview with Gianforte, which was to take place at the Gianforte for Congress Bozeman Headquarters.

Faith, Keith and I arrived early to set up for the interview in a room adjacent to another room where a volunteer BBQ was to take place. As the time for the interview neared, Gianforte came into the room. We exchanged pleasantries and made small talk about restaurants and Bozeman.

During that conversation, another man — who we now know is Ben Jacobs of The Guardian — walked into the room with a voice recorder, put it up to Gianforte's face and began asking if him if he had a response to the newly released Congressional Budget Office report on the American Health Care Act. Gianforte told him he would get to him later. Jacobs persisted with his question. Gianforte told him to talk to his press guy, Shane Scanlon.

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of "I'm sick and tired of this!"

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. He then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff's deputies.

As for myself and my crew, we are cooperating with local authorities. It is not clear if charges will be filed against Gianforte at this time.

Scanlon later issued a statement saying that Jacobs "entered the [campaign] office without permission, aggressively shoved a recorder in Greg's face, and began asking badgering questions."

Later, the statement added, "After asking Jacobs to lower the recorder, Jacobs declined. Greg then attempted to grab the phone that was pushed in his face. Jacobs grabbed Greg's wrist, and spun away from Greg, pushing them both to the ground. It's unfortunate that this aggressive behavior from a liberal journalist created this scene at our campaign volunteer BBQ."

Wow, so can Gianforte win the election and then be arrested?? The fox news team basically corroborated that it was aggravated assault.

I get that Quist is not ideal to most conservatives, but shouldn't there be consequences for Gianforte's behavior?

Personally the more I see of these two the more it seems like they both suck a lot. I still hope Quist wins tomorrow, though I think Gianforte will win

Pelosi puppet Montana native w/ no record of having a MT fishing or hunting license vs the Jersey Boi playing WWE with a Guardian, "reporter"... chosen by the Dnc and rnc to represent MT interests...

The joke on DNC? RNC? Quist? Gianforte?

No... sadly, the joke is on us.

24 hours left in the election, it will keep some GOP'ers from voting, increase turnout for dems and fire up organizers working on GOTV. It would have helped Quist more a couple of days ago.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I guess we will have to see if it happened too late to swing the election.

but shouldn't there be consequences for Gianforte's behavior?
...There is, if convicted of the assault charge there could be a $500 fine and 6 months in jail.

Am I the only one who really wishes there was video of this incident. If a man is going to potentially ruin his political "career" (term used loosely), then it would be a good keep sake for him...AND...it would aid in our efforts to make the memes :)

I really don't think this will have a huge impact on the results. I think people already had their minds made up one way or another.

Sytes seems to have the best grasp on this in my humble opinion when he said..."the joke is on us".

Shouldn't be stunned at all...just his frustration showing after spending 13 million only to have a close race with a folksinger who spent 4 million.

That might cause any weak minded dimwit to body slam a reporter.

From all I've read about gianforte, this is about what I would expect...just a loser being a loser.

Nothing better than your lone representative being tagged with assault the day prior to the election...should reap copious results for the good people of Montana.:W:

Last edited:
State GOP runs a re-tread that couldn't win in a state that carried trump by 20 points, the state dems pick a folk singer with no experience in what appears to be anything.

I saw an article the other day that actually quoted Matt Rosendale, without pointing out what kind of loon that guy is. It says a lot when that crackpot looks normal to whats running right now.

Yay us.

...There is, if convicted of the assault charge there could be a $500 fine and 6 months in jail.

Am I the only one who really wishes there was video of this incident. If a man is going to potentially ruin his political "career" (term used loosely), then it would be a good keep sake for him...AND...it would aid in our efforts to make the memes :)

I really don't think this will have a huge impact on the results. I think people already had their minds made up one way or another.

Sytes seems to have the best grasp on this in my humble opinion when he said..."the joke is on us".

Yeah if this were in Arkansas he would probably still win.

I'm guessing they will figure out a way to keep him from serving jail time. But that would be hilarious to see him spending time in the slammer then heading to Washington!

Zinke woulda snapped that sissy reporters neck like a chicken bone.

Now be respectful of the sissy. I've seen The Guardian cited by several of our HT family.

Funny following the Manchester slaughter he'd have a question about healthcare that just couldn't wait. Ass backwards priorities.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back