Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT: Gianforte vs Quist

Woke up thankful I don't have to listen to ads for a couple weeks. They're coming at Tester hard.

This race was the most expensive house race in state history. For those not from Montana, in an election year, think of how sick of politics you are by the time November rolls around. Well, it's May and we are just being set free. No more texts, calls, relentless radio and internet ads, no more cheesy commercials, may the chitty billboards be gone. It's a beautiful day in Montana.

Yes, so happy it's over.

Interesting that Montana elected a guy to an essentially statewide office that they just voted against for statewide office. That's weird to me as an outsider.

Also, I find it interesting that they elected a wealthy tech billionaire from NJ to oppose wealthy coastal elites. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Very expensive race. ~$40/vote for the winner.

Not that interesting...Wyoming did the same thing with Liz Cheney. To win in states like Montana and Wyoming...just put an "R" in front of your name, no matter if you're from Virginia or New Jersey, you'll win. I know life-long I's and D's that change their political affiliation to "R" just to run for State office in Wyoming...isn't that curious? Same person, same values, just needs the right letter in front of their name.

Makes no sense to me either that States like Montana and Wyoming, who whimper all the time about "people moving here and trying to change things", elect wealthy out of staters to represent them in D.C....who then work non-stop to do exactly what they whimper and cry about. Yeah, don't elect someone that was born and raised in the State you live in...wouldn't want someone who actually understands your values, your issues, and your State representing you...better to hold the party line.

Makes no sense to me either that States like Montana and Wyoming, who whimper all the time about "people moving here and trying to change things", elect wealthy out of staters to represent them in D.C....who then work non-stop to do exactly what they whimper and cry about. Yeah, don't elect someone that was born and raised in the State you live in...wouldn't want someone who actually understands your values, your issues, and your State representing you...better to hold the party line.
Problem is the Ds provided a person who was pretty much clueless to our values, issues... at least for the 20% increase in Trump based voters for the Presidential election. I voted for Quist though he walked into a whirlwind of politics and came out as an oblivious local singer. I like his music... that is about all.

just put an "R" in front of your name, no matter if you're from Virginia or New Jersey, you'll win. I know life-long I's and D's that change their political affiliation to "R" just to run for State office in Wyoming...isn't that curious? Same person, same values, just needs the right letter in front of their name.

Another reason why I freaking hate politics. The party division is arbitrary and dumb in my simple mind.

Not that interesting...Wyoming did the same thing with Liz Cheney. To win in states like Montana and Wyoming...just put an "R" in front of your name, no matter if you're from Virginia or New Jersey, you'll win. I know life-long I's and D's that change their political affiliation to "R" just to run for State office in Wyoming...isn't that curious? Same person, same values, just needs the right letter in front of their name.

This is spot on and the only thing I would add is Montana attracts the R's from lots of other states. They move here seeking the extreme R values they think Montana has . Seems like a real influx in the past 10 years. Move to Tana, pack a gun and do whatever you like. Its the west.

Problem is the Ds provided a person who was pretty much clueless to our values, issues... at least for the 20% increase in Trump based voters for the Presidential election. I voted for Quist though he walked into a whirlwind of politics and came out as an oblivious local singer. I like his music... that is about all.

This is another classic problem...blame the other side for not picking a better candidate that represents your values. I'm sick of excuses...start making a difference.

YOU have the power to do that to...hold the SOB's responsible in the primaries by running people that DO share you values, that do support the things that are important to you, and represent your State! Its up to YOU!

Its not my fault you allowed the R's and D's to pick two total dog-chit candidates...YOU LET THEM, and DONT DEMAND BETTER.

Look in the mirror...there's the problem...and also the solution if you get with the program.

This isn't always true Buzz, Wyoming is notorious for electing Democrat Governors when a good candidate runs; Freudenthal, Sullivan, Herschler. And two terms for all three. No, there is more to this than you want to admit, look who Cheney ran against.

Same goes for Montana; look who Gianforte ran against...

Yeah, don't elect someone that was born and raised in the State you live in...wouldn't want someone who actually understands your values, your issues, and your State representing you...better to hold the party line.

Is that really the issue? The values and empathy of native Montanans are as diverse as the transplants. We should be electing the person who best represents our values regardless of party affiliation, where they were born, their chosen career, where they were born, etc.

Full disclosure, I'm just priming the constituency for my run at the House in 2020

People can bitch all they want, and they will, about the piss poor choices they have in candidates but the truth is they say that about any candidate the Dems put forward no matter who the hell it is. Bullock and Tester are 2 of the best politicians this state has had in a long time and Bullock barely won twice and it's a good bet Tester loses this time around in this Republican state. I'm disgusted, again.

Quist was all hat and no cattle. Plus he was truth challenged. Gianforte's name was out there for nearly two years and Quist threw his hat in the ring late in the game. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

It an election of one seat in the House, it changes nothing on either side of aisle and wouldn't have changed anything if Quist won. As for Tester's race in 2018, I wouldn't be so fast to write off his chances of winning that race depending on which Republican runs against him. There will be many, many more days and months to watch Trump step on his dick and by Nov. of 2018 the buyers remorse most likely will have deepened. Also Zinke moving up to be Sec. of Interior removed one of the biggest threats to Tester.

Nemont

I'll probably vote for Tester just like I voted for Bullock.
Big difference between them and what the DNC has decided is a good direction for their dying party.

This isn't always true Buzz, Wyoming is notorious for electing Democrat Governors when a good candidate runs; Freudenthal, Sullivan, Herschler. And two terms for all three. No, there is more to this than you want to admit, look who Cheney ran against.

Same goes for Montana; look who Gianforte ran against...

Montana elects Governors that are democrats as well...the problem is finding a qualified candidate dumb enough to want to run.

He'll be needing to sign a check first, probably a pretty large one...then its time to move on.

Buzz,

For him it would be like you picking up a $50 bar tab, no stretch at all. He has plenty in his checking account. It's time to move on period, I am tired of the ads and we still ended up with a choice of either a Shit sandwich or shit taco, on the inside they are both the same.

We should be electing the person who best represents our values regardless of party affiliation, where they were born, their chosen career, where they were born, etc.
'Sounds good ... until that day on the House Floor when the dominant party implements its platform to transfer the Custer National Forest to the State of Montana and that congressman is instructed by the party caucus to vote YES, fully aware that the newly elected Republican Governor Matt Rosendale, formerly a developer from the eastern seaboard, now the Montana Land Board Chair, will gladly accept the public land and in turn fulfill his campaign support obligation to sell parcels to the Wilks, thus funding the state infrastructure bill ... all except any renovation of Romney Hall. It's not a big stretch to conjure up such a scenario. You heard it here first.

Back