MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

14/15 co

Ttannahill14

Here are my option's as I see it... correct me if I'm wrong.

I have friends near both units who are willing to help hunt/pack that's why I am choosing this part of the state. This is my first year in the point game so sitting 0 points across the board.

With my schedule I could hunt Unit 14 Elk 4th rifle 100% draw

OR

Hope to draw an archery Mule deer tag at 42% and then pick up an OTC Elk Archery

Or I can pop down to 15... 100% draw September muzzle loader mule deer and a 27% chance to elk with Muzzleloader... if I don't draw muzzleloader I can pick up an Archery OTC elk.

This is my only trip this fall for the year. Building points in all other states. I'm 0/2 on elk and never targeted mule deer. Opportunity hunt could care less about a big bull. Just want one.

Let me know if you guys have any advice thoughts and if my heads in the right spot? This whole application process is daunting. As always not looking for GPS coordinates just general thoughts on the likelihood of success in these two units. PM if you feel more comfortable.

Thanks guys

I assume your schedule precludes you from hunting 1st rifle season. You have picked some units/hunts with amazingly low elk success rates based on 2016 stats. Unit 14 1st rifle had a decent success rate of 32% last year, but the hunts you picked are 12% or less. I'm guessing the elk numbers are getting low in 14 by 4th season, as a lot of those elk will migrate out of the unit.

Little brother is getting married weekend of 1st rifle unfortunately. Should be the last wedding for a while to get in the way of hunting season.

I'm showing 4th season rifle 14 elk with +30% 4/5 years 2011-2015. Go hunt doesn't have 2016 harvest numbers showing.

I also have some lower elevation private land I have access too in 14... that late in the season could very well be using as sanctuary.

Last edited:
I'm showing 4th season rifle 14 elk with +30% 4/5 years 2011-2015. Go hunt doesn't have 2016 harvest numbers showing.

CPW stats for 4th season antlered elk success show:

2011 - 0%
2012 - 0%
2013 - 25%
2014 - 21%
2015 - 13%
2016 - 12%

Without going back and looking, it's possible/probable that there was not 4th season hunting available in 2011-2012. Good luck!

Back