Yeti GOBOX Collection

7mm08 ammo for elk

I'm curious what .338 cartirdge you shoot that will push a 300frn bullet at 3,300 fps? I shoot a 338 lapua with 285gn amax bullets. It has performed great on a number of big bulls the last few years. Bullets are always wadded up under the skin on opposite side.

338 Terminator with 32" tube.

Thoughts on 140 grain E-tips shooting quartering toward within 100 yards? Would they hold together on an elk and get through the front shoulder? Obviously not the shot I would like to make, but if I had to

A slightly different set up, but this year using the 165 grn TTSX out of my 300 WSM my second shot on a bull entered through the shoulder quartering to me breaking that leg and the bullet was recovered just in front of the rear leg on the off side under the hide. Bullet was in great shape and I was impressed with overall performance for a direct bone strike one petal was broke off from a perfect mushroom and the retained weight was somewhere around the 140 grain mark. I was really impressed with the solid copper bullet as this was my first in field use with them. This was also around 350 yards so I imagine your scenario would work if it occurred. As you stated this wasn't my plan but follow up shots are always less controlled.

A slightly different set up, but this year using the 165 grn TTSX out of my 300 WSM my second shot on a bull entered through the shoulder quartering to me breaking that leg and the bullet was recovered just in front of the rear leg on the off side under the hide. Bullet was in great shape and I was impressed with overall performance for a direct bone strike one petal was broke off from a perfect mushroom and the retained weight was somewhere around the 140 grain mark. I was really impressed with the solid copper bullet as this was my first in field use with them. This was also around 350 yards so I imagine your scenario would work if it occurred. As you stated this wasn't my plan but follow up shots are always less controlled.

Thanks for the useful info IA. I'm a Boilermaker myself, class of 2014! Boiler up!

... well kinda, yeah. I have just seen too many threads hi-jacked from the original purpose and led off into La-La Land. Urk's the itch in my undies. Stick with the OP's question.

A 338,...nor a 6.5, 308, 243, 270 has any merit to a direct 7mm question (input any caliber here).

"I killed a Moose with a 416 Rem Mag", nor does "I dropped a cougar with my 240 Whby" have much relevance to a question asked about the performance of a 7mm/08.

Maybe the performance of a specific bullet design might be an addendum, but.................

I think you meant "Irks"...but don't let that stop you from hijacking a little good natured banter.

Have had great success with 140 accubonds in the 7mm-08. If they shoot well out of the gun it is about the only bullet I use in any of my large game guns.

IMG_0421.jpg
I've never taken an elk, but here is 230#s of hog taken with 7-08 shooting plain old Rem core locks 140 gr. The performance is there and regardless of caliber or weight, accuracy is king.

Good to see this thread. I just picked up a 7mm08 for my oldest boy's first year hunting. I went with 140gr ttsx.

Give 120 TTSX a try - lighter = less recoil and Barnes construction allows you to go lower in size and still plow through the animal. That's what I did for my mountain rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk at 300 yards max.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back