Dodge 3.6 V6 or 5.7 Hemi?

Brittany Chukarman

I'm thinking about getting a new truck. Never had a Dodge, does anyone have any experience with these 2 engines? For what I mostly use it for I think the V6 would work but I would have to pull a small tractor to town once in awhile. I'm not opposed to the V8 but concerned about gas mileage. I'm replacing a 4.6 Ford. Any thoughts?

Getting 14 mpg with a 5.7l in a 3/4 ton Mega-cab around town and a bit of highway. Better than I thought I would.

I don't think much over 15 is possible on the highway.

Today's V8 engines are almost as fuel efficient as their V6 counterparts. I would get a V8 simply to have the extra power and towing capacity when I needed it.

I have a 2008 v8 6 speed, I believe the newer ones are 8 speed. I get about 15 mpg total, v6 might be better on gas but it sure is fun when you punch the v8!

I have a 2015 crew cab 2500 with the 6.4l v8. In town I average 12-12.5 mpg, highway 16.5 mpg. When I tow my side by side on a small single axle trailer I get around 11-12 mpg. When towing our large travel trailer camper I get around 9.5 mpg. I had a dodge 10 yrs ago with the 5.7 in it. Got about the same mpg. It was a half ton, newer one is 3/4 ton. I miss the half ton when driving around in the mountains. However, I tow lots more now than I used to and the 3/4 ton wins there hands down. I shudder at the thought of what a new engine will cost me now.

I have a 1/2 ton with the Hemi, and a Durango with the 3.6. For me, the only advantage of the Hemi is it sounds cool. The heaviest thing I tow is a 4k lb camper. Hemi gets 12 mpg(35s), Durango gets low to mid twenties.

How about this, the V8 will do everything the V6 can do. The V6 can't do everything the V8 can. Fuel mileage will always vary from person to person, state to state, fuel to fuel etc etc. Buy the vehicle that will do the chores, tasks you demand from it, a family of 8 wont buy 2 cars for family vacations when they can all fit in a van, make sense?

I have the 3.6l in my Charger, it probably has a different cam and setting than it would in a truck. It is great for pushing a grocery getter around but I would never want it in a truck. They barely function in the 4 door Jeeps. In my car it is rated at 300 HP....what they did say is you have to have it at 6500 rpms to get that much. There isn't enough torque to even think about spinning the tires, load it down with 4 adults and it doesn't want to get out its own way. 300 HP and respectable torque in a V8 comes a lot easier at a much lower RPM, there is no replacement for displacement.

Save yourself a headache from beating your head into the steering wheel every time you press the gas and wish you had torque when pulling that tractor, get the V8.

Last edited:
The 5.7 gets my vote as well, I have it in a 1/2 ton and I am very pleased, great power and good mileage. Usually 17-18 mpg.

Maybe look at the Ecodiesel, Great mpg. I have 5.9 cummins in my 06 and average 18 to 19 mpg, real world. I love my Ram, one heck of a truck.

In November, I bought a 2016 1500 with the Hemi 5.7 and 3.21 gear ratio and I like it a lot. I'm getting 20 on the highway as long as I keep it under 80. Now camper shopping.

Maybe look at the Ecodiesel, Great mpg. I have 5.9 cummins in my 06 and average 18 to 19 mpg, real world. I love my Ram, one heck of a truck.

you can't get a new eco diesel right now as they are being investigated by the epa for tweaking emissions equipment during testing, big v8's can get pretty good gas mileage as long as you can keep your foot out of it. if you're really concerned about gas mileage look at the ford ecoboost and the colorado/canyon diesel. but if you're set on ram the 5.7 can pull more than most people need and gets good enough gas mileage.

I have an '08 2500 with the Hemi, tows nice, gas mileage is only 11-12 not towing, never got stuck in our "sugar sand" or what little snow we get anymore.Best truck I had to date except for gas mileage. Towed a trailer with 2 atv's, hunting and camping gear out to CO. last season, averaged 6-9 mpg, just about paid off fuel bill! LOL!

Thanks for all the replies. The truck would mostly be used to tow my boat 2 miles on the flat to the boat launch May through September and a hunting trip or two in the Fall. The heavy work would be hauling 8 to 10 cords of firewood. I could work around the tractor hauling and hire it out, that's only needed every couple years. What I don't like about the new models in the 1/2 tons is the short beds. I'd like to hear from someone who has the V6 in a 1500 but the Hemi with the 3.21 gear ratio sounds pretty good.

If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, it is worth looking into purchasing the Dodge lifetime warranty.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back