Caribou Gear

How rare are double-shovel caribou?

AlaskaHunter

I've read that double-shovels are 1 in 1,000 or more.
I've shot less than a dozen caribou and one was a double-shovel.
My hunting partner has shot less than 20, and 2 were double-shovels.
These were from 3 different herds(40-mile, white mountains, central arctic).
My impression is that double-shovels are not as rare in Alaska as 1 in 1,000.

Attachments

• double_shovel (800x449).jpg
    double_shovel (800x449).jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 1,185
I wouldn't say they're that rare. One of my five was a double shovel, he was the smallest of the bulls I shot.

They are so rare that every caribou hunt on TV seems to get one! :) Is that 1 in 1000 documented science or country boy myth? I know guys who have caught muskies without casting 10,000 times.

They are so rare that every caribou hunt on TV seems to get one! :) Is that 1 in 1000 documented science or country boy myth? I know guys who have caught muskies without casting 10,000 times.

I don't know, I've made far more than 10,000 casts in my lifetime and never caught a muskie :)

I don't know, I've made far more than 10,000 casts in my lifetime and never caught a muskie :)

My wife caught a 42incher the first time she ever fished for them, and first time she used a baitcaster reel, with less than 50 casts! Better not ever take her caribou hunting....

The first bull I ever laid eyes on (and shot) was a nice Double shovel. So I'm 1 out of 1. ;)

That was the 40-mile herd.

I've only killed one caribou, it had a very nice double shovel. As for 1 in 1,000? It is possible when you consider over half of a herd are cows that won't grow a pair of shovels, the vast majority of the remaining animals are going to be young bulls that won't grow double shovels. The remaining bulls that we target while hunting have the possibility of growing doubles and then we pick out the biggest bull we can find increasing the odds that he will have more bone over his nose.

We may see a dis-proportionate amount of double shovels on dead animals because of this.

Thanks. I think we have confirmed here that double-shovel bulls are
really not rare, especially if we are talking exclusively about mature bulls.
--Skeeter

IMO it depends on what you consider a "shovel." I think in terms of scoring if it has 2 points, or is wider at the tip than the center of the point its considered a "shovel"

In terms of scoring as a shovel, I think 4 of the last 6 we've killed had double shovels.

I'd take a nice topped bull, with decent bez and a single shovel over an average double shovel bull. The ones with big bottoms rarely have nice tops. Hard to find one with both.

I'd take a nice topped bull, with decent bez and a single shovel over an average double shovel bull. The ones with big bottoms rarely have nice tops. Hard to find one with both.

Exactly my thoughts and observations. Hard to find one with both. Best bull I ever saw that 'had it all' I let walk 300 yards from camp while I was in the first couple days of a sheep hunt. I still regret that decision today.

In AK double shovels are much more common than they are in, say northern Quebec. I think the ratio in AK is much closer to 1 in 100 (or even less). In northern Canada, it might be closer to the rule of thumb (1 in 1000).

That is quite the pic for your first post, and with your now in the background besides. Well done and welcome to LRH.

Welcome to the forum Nick! It's about time you made your appearance into this corner of the world.

Thanks Gerald! I've read through nearly every post on here about Alaska and I can say that this is by far the best compilation of AK hunting information I've been able to find. Figured it was time to join and see if I can learn a thing or two.

Not sure if you consider this one a double shovel or not.... didn't matter when I saw this one the first day of my first caribou hunt. The second "shovel" is longer than the big one, and is wider in the middle than at the base, but is pretty much just a long bladed point. I was plenty happy either way.

I am 1 for 1 with what I would call double shovels, but we shot two big bulls that day and the other one was definitely just a single shovel,

Attachments

• 1910419_56367733819_1215729_n.jpg
    1910419_56367733819_1215729_n.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 465
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back