3 Person Hunt

WIbiggame

I have been out west twice but always in a group of 4. Because of another hunt our 4th cant make it this fall. I was doing some looking and cant find much on the subject, but has anyone had success with bow hunting elk with 3 guys? If so can you explain how you do it? Thinking a triangle like setup would work well but want to know what others have done.

I have done it a couple times bow hunting and a couple with muzzleloader where the elk are still responding. We were not successful in harvesting an elk but we had many come in, just weird angles or trees in the way. Sometimes a triangle with the main caller in the back and one or both of the front guys using cow calls. Other times a straight line with the middle guy doing mist of the cow calling trying to catch a bull trying to outflank us. It beats sitting at home so go for it.

It really depends on the situation and wind. A lot of times you'll have animals come in silent behind you, so a triangle wouldn't be ideal. It's kind of tough. I think what might be better is find an active tank or wallow and have one guy sit on it every hunt and alternate. Lots of scent wafting around with 3 guys in a triangle. Every time I've done it I end up calling which i have no problem with, I enjoy calling for others. But I may as well leave the bow in camp. Really does suck carrying anyway.

There's more to elk hunting than just calling, and nothing says you guys have to hunt together all the time. Someone go solo, check out some new areas, still-hunt, etc.

I hunt mainly alone and have called in and killed 4 bulls in 6 years + 1 cow still hunting all with my bow, so going off by yourself is an option 1, another option would be to have 2 of you call about 100 yards behind the shooter and just take turn's being the shooter, 2 guys can sound like a herd of elk pretty easily, and have the 2 callers spread out about 20 yards and call back and forth to each other. Option 3, have 2 shooters and 1 caller. You get what i'm getting at :) there's no wrong way, just keep the wind in your favor..... Good luck,
Matt

I have hunted in a 3-person group before, and it's a pain in the butt if you aren't all on the same page. I would have one person as the caller, one person as the primary shooter, and the 3rd person as the secondary shooter. Set up the secondary shooter back and on the downwind sign.

Not ideal though. It's hard to communicate with two other hunters and make quick decisions. You could always go with a two-person group and one goes solo, and then switch teams up every day.

Thanks for yhe replies everyone. I known it's not the same but fortunately the 2 other guys and myself have turkey hunted here in WI for 15 year together so our communication is pretty good. I liked all the ideas and honestly never thought about splitting up. Again thanks to all and good luck this fall!

Back