Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sausage

wytex

Looks like it will be great sausage making weather this weekend, cold and possibly snowy. Keeps everything nice and cold while grinding.
Found some bison in the freezer from my cow so we'll make 25 lbs of german style half and half with feral hog using Hess Meats german sausage seasoning. Then we'll make 10 lbs of breakfast using some seasoning from Fischer's Market and more feral hog. We always use seasonings from a sausage maker we like, they will readily sell it to you usually.

Sounds good. I made some breakfast sausage with venison and an Alton Brown recipe you can easily find on the internet. I substituted maple syrup for the light brown sugar, and used pork fat from a local butcher instead of fat back.

As for any smoked sausages--I can't beat Clauses' German butcher shop, so I just take meat to them.

I love making my own sausage and burger also. If you guys go on-line to Hi Country seasonings, they make some great stuff. Their German, Italian, and Country Blend are all very good, actually fantastic! They make great jerky mixes also. I guarantee you will love these!

I use A. C. Legg seasonings and am happy with them. I do breakfast sausage, maple breakfast, sweet Italian and Chorizo. They have all been really good.

I use A. C. Legg seasonings and am happy with them. I do breakfast sausage, maple breakfast, sweet Italian and Chorizo. They have all been really good.

I 2nd this. They have good smoked sausage, fresh hot link, and Cajun sausage mixes as well.

Thanks to help from many of y'all, especially John, I finally made my own breakfast sausage and some italian sausage. It went great. Beats the hell out of store bought stuff. I just can't tell my health conscious wife how much fat I added.

We get our seasoning from two german meat markets we know. Legg is also good, but having spices mixed fresh for you can't be beat. We use Hi Mountain for our jerky.

I buy in bulk at the spice section of Fred Meyers in Fairbanks.
I buy a hank of hog casings online.

For 40 pounds of italian sausage:
25 lbs moose/15 pounds pork shoulder
20 tablespoons fennel seed
10 tablespoons anise seed
5 tablespoons salt
5 tablespoons coarse ground pepper
5 tablespoons rubbed sage
5 tablespoons garlic
7 cups cold water

coarse grind and stuff in hog casings
grill and serve on hot dog buns with sweet relish, or honey mustard

--Skeeter

I make a great "spicy" brat. Do a 4:1 ratio of meat to fat. It's got great flavor with just a tiny kick at the end. It's just enough and not overwhelming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back