Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First fishing trip of 2017

jrabq

Don't usually get out lake fishing in NM in March because of wind/weather, and I often use this time of year to catch up on chores and honey-do's.

But it's been so nice lately I got the boat ready and went on a day-trip yesterday. Had a good day with walleye limit plus a few bass. Nothing real big but last fish was a 21" walleye, so that was nice and I have enough for a few meals. Best fishing was mid-day, and once it warmed up the small bass woke up, I threw back about a dozen in 12-13" range. All the fish liked crank-baits with some red on them. The two LM bass were full of huge crawfish.

P1040472red.jpg

Last edited:
Nice string!!! Were you casting for them or trolling?

Casting along shoreline and off points. Some folks were doing good trolling but it's not my preference, if I have a choice.

Looks like fun! Have you ever tried casting jigs tipped with plastics? Every time it hits the bottom, snap it up quick and let it fall again. It's my favorite way to catch walleyes. 1/8-1/4 oz jig depending on depth, with either a walleye assassin or Berkely Gulp 4" minnow. If a crank works it should work and man is it fun!

It looks like you had a great day. Those are the best size for eating, by far! The water is still in solid form up here. Still almost 2 months until walleye season opens up for us. Great to see some pictures to get the engine going!

Have you ever tried casting jigs tipped with plastics?

I had a rod rigged with a jig and fished a few minutes with it. But I can cover more water with crank-baits, and it's just personal preference I guess. If I'm over a specific spot where I think there are fish (from previous catches or fish-finder hits) I will usually prospect for a bit with a jig if lures aren't working.

In some places bumping crank-bait over a rocky bottom works great, and a jig in that condition would probably work just as good. There are times when the fish are more finicky and jigs are the ticket, but 90+% of the time I'm throwing some sort of lure.

Not the first trip, but I leave for Wyoming tomorrow with 8 guys for our big spring trip. 8 guys, 3 boats, one cabin. We will be fly fishing for trout on the North Platte. Tomorrow, Fremont canyon, Saturday, float trip on the Grey Reef, Sunday, the Miracle Mile. I will be sure to get some pics.

Great fish OP!

Hope to get out soon although with the warmth and rain coming, rivers and streams will go from low and cold to high and mud in short order.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back