Hunting unit 62 vs 48 in Wy. Any input?

Dwight M

Planning a antelope trip to Wyoming . According to what I have found 62 looks like a little better trophy quality but I have access to a large ranch in 48 with virtually no hunting pressure. Trying to weigh my options. This would be my first antelope hunt .

Do you have access to the ranch in 48 or is it through a third party that's charging a trespass fee?
I'm in the same boat...I have 7 points. I saw an offer from Shady McShaderson to put in as a group for access to a private ranch, he waited days and many emails to tell.me about the 750 trespass fee. In my opinion a guy who's not upfront is not a guy you should trust, ever.
Assuming that's not at all your deal.
There's a large discrepancy between the points required for those units. You only live once and you'll only be at this point level in WY once. I opted to not chase a trophy and put in with some buddies and have us a super duper FUN hunt, life is too short.
Not sure if you've found this post helpful or its just been random rambling but there it is...

If you have the points to draw either, 62 would be my suggestion. That said, both units have enough public land to shoot a good buck without accessing private.

Steelhead, You must be referring to me in your post above? I am sorry I didn't mention the trespass fee up front. As I mentioned to you in private, I didn't do it intentionally. I've sent quite a few messages to many different guys and it's been difficult keeping track of who I've told what. I'm everything but the shadey character you make me out to be. If I was shadey I wouldn't have told you at all about the trespass fee until after we drew tags! I helped out the other hunters in our group last season and I was the last in our group to fill my tag...so may not be the horrible person you suggest. There aren't that many large private ranches available in Wyo where you have a great chance of harvesting a B&C bucks on a trespass fee basis. I am guessing many of the best private ranches only offer guided hunts. I can honestly tell you that my intensions were good and I am sorry.

Looks like point averaging schemes are getting very elaborate in Wyoming these days.

I guess so.

I would cut Shady McShaderson out as the middle man and just work with the outfitter that control the ranch he hunts...its no "secret" what unit he hunts.

If I know shady, he's probably cutting a deal with GC that if he finds enough suckers to apply as a party with him and pay the $750, he gets to hunt for free. Shady always looks out for his own self interest first.

I'm pretty sure if I wanted to work my connections, I could hunt the ranch Shady hunts on for free. But the 2 things I wont do is pay a trespass fee to hunt pronghorn in Wyoming or put my connections in a bind over one either.

Of course, there's always the issue of ruining an area by taking a bunch of internet buddies there, just so you can hunt it more often. That will come back to bite...no question.

I actually know the rancher personally.

Not sure what you are after for a buck, but 48 is a sleeper for trophy quality. I have seen many 80"+ bucks over the years from 48. IMO what has hurt public land hunting there is large license quotas. These pics are bucks my friend has killed in 48, one is all-time B&C, other is awards B&C.

431426_3270602218711_1754028127_n.jpg

155112_1401331768118_937953_n.jpg

If your friend has a lot of ground with good antelope numbers and no hunting pressure, you will have a good hunt.

It wasn't so much the point averaging but the lack up upfront honestly about the deal...also shady spent the better part of two days emailing me every animal he's ever killed....like I would feel more honored to hunt with him...or give him my points and money so he can hunt private land in a draw unit for free.
HOWEVER
There are still some great people out there willing to help :)

Nice bucks JM!!

First, I consider being called Mr. Shadey a pretty big insult from the guys above. I pride myself at providing sound advice to other hunters in regard to gear, equipment, and techniques on this and other websites. I often find myself not posting on this particular website because of several guys that tend to cause quite a bit of controversy. The only reason I responded to this particular post is because it has been a personal attack on me with no backing of truth to what has been said.

I have done my best to help out many hunters over the years! Take a look at some of the different hunting websites I frequent and you will notice that most of my posts are handing out sound advice to help other hunters with equipment, tactics, and strategies for hunting successfully in the Western US. You will notice that I have NEVER posted 1 hero shot success photo from any of my big game hunts. If you want the truth contact the group of guys I hunted with last year instead of making false accusations. I would be glad to give you contact numbers of guys I have actually hunted with so you hear first hand that I am sincere and honest. The guys that are calling me Mr. Shadey know nothing about me! Just as an example; I have always payed the entire trespass fee to hunt the ranch just like everyone else. I don't get a break on the trespass fee and pay the full amount.

If you notice, I don't make many posts on this forum because I don't enjoy being ridiculed by Buzz and JM77. I will leave it at that....and be the better man and not cause a ruckus!

In regard to trophy antelope photos .... Most guys interested in hunting the ranch enjoy viewing photos of the bucks harvested so they know what potential can be expected. I sent the photos not to brag but so others are aware of the quality bucks available.

As mentioned above by JM and others there is a definite advantage hunting antelope on lightly hunted private ground in areas known for producing B&C bucks. I have been hunting the private ranch I'm talking about for years. I know the manager very well and am pretty sure he won't allow anyone (other than possibly family) to hunt the ranch for free. I know I've been paying the FULL trespass fee for years and don't know any way around it!

Good luck to everyone hunting Wyo antelope this year! It should be a fantastic year for B&C bucks in certain regions in Wyo. If you want any advice on hunting Wyo antelope send me a private message and I'd be glad to give you great information!

Not sure what you are after for a buck, but 48 is a sleeper for trophy quality. I have seen many 80"+ bucks over the years from 48. IMO what has hurt public land hunting there is large license quotas. These pics are bucks my friend has killed in 48, one is all-time B&C, other is awards B&C.

View attachment 69194

If your friend has a lot of ground with good antelope numbers and no hunting pressure, you will have a good hunt.

Hey, I've been in that spot !!

First, I consider being called Mr. Shadey a pretty big insult from the guys above. I pride myself at providing sound advice to other hunters in regard to gear, equipment, and techniques on this and other websites. I often find myself not posting on this particular website because of several guys that tend to cause quite a bit of controversy. The only reason I responded to this particular post is because it has been a personal attack on me with no backing of truth to what has been said.

I have done my best to help out many hunters over the years! Take a look at some of the different hunting websites I frequent and you will notice that most of my posts are handing out sound advice to help other hunters with equipment, tactics, and strategies for hunting successfully in the Western US. You will notice that I have NEVER posted 1 hero shot success photo from any of my big game hunts. If you want the truth contact the group of guys I hunted with last year instead of making false accusations. I would be glad to give you contact numbers of guys I have actually hunted with so you hear first hand that I am sincere and honest. The guys that are calling me Mr. Shadey know nothing about me! Just as an example; I have always payed the entire trespass fee to hunt the ranch just like everyone else. I don't get a break on the trespass fee and pay the full amount.

If you notice, I don't make many posts on this forum because I don't enjoy being ridiculed by Buzz and JM77. I will leave it at that....and be the better man and not cause a ruckus!

In regard to trophy antelope photos .... Most guys interested in hunting the ranch enjoy viewing photos of the bucks harvested so they know what potential can be expected. I sent the photos not to brag but so others are aware of the quality bucks available.

As mentioned above by JM and others there is a definite advantage hunting antelope on lightly hunted private ground in areas known for producing B&C bucks. I have been hunting the private ranch I'm talking about for years. I know the manager very well and am pretty sure he won't allow anyone (other than possibly family) to hunt the ranch for free. I know I've been paying the FULL trespass fee for years and don't know any way around it!

Good luck to everyone hunting Wyo antelope this year! It should be a fantastic year for B&C bucks in certain regions in Wyo. If you want any advice on hunting Wyo antelope send me a private message and I'd be glad to give you great information!

jims

Not sure what you mean that I ridiculed you, but to set this straight my quote was "Looks like point averaging schemes are getting very elaborate in Wyoming these days." That statement is very true considering those who advertise on forums ask for, and offer, many different things to party with those who have points when they themselves don't. Sorry you took that personal, but I stand by it and am not ridiculing anyone.

scheme
noun
a large-scale systematic plan or arrangement for attaining some particular object or putting a particular idea into effect.

I recently asked your advise about hunting your own state of Colorado because I have a fair number of points there. I realize you had nothing to gain by helping me, but I appreciate your response, even though it was very general in the nature of the information you gave me.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff! If you want any more tips on Colo muleys let me know. I know a few areas I would stay clear of this year from winterkill!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim. If you're gonna go around and publicly advertise "Hey let me have your points so that I can have a great hunt on your points and you can have a great hunt too" that's fine.
What did I say? I said, "I'm interested, seems fair...probably the way things are going anyway with draw hunts and point creep, etc".
Then to further discuss said hunt/point averaging with people (me)...fine.
Then after further discussion to add "Oh yeah and you gotta pay a $750 trespass fee" to me says SHADY.
It's being dishonest by omission and misleading in my opinion.
You are posting on DIY websites OYOA/Rokslide where people LOVE public land/access and doing it themselves and where many PRIDE (in their souls) themselves on NOT PAYING BIG BUCKS TO HUNT.
Is $750 big bucks? Maybe, maybe not. But for many it's the principal of the idea.
For me it is the principal of the idea and your lack of what I would consider being upfront about the deal that makes it shady to me.
Simple fix:

Don't say: If you have 7 or more pronghorn points and are interested in a trophy hunt let me know and we can avg points and get on a ranch etc...

Say: If you have 7 or more pronghorn points and are willing to pay a $750 trespass fee and are interested in a trophy hunt let me know and we can avg points and get on a ranch etc...

To me that woulda made all the difference.

Please listen Jim. I apologize. I shouldn't have blasted it publicly but I did, so I'm sorry. What I really shoulda done is email you back and say "WTH man!! Why you be droppin da seven fiddy fee on me now dogg??!! I ain't be payin dat." and you might be all like "Yeah I shoulda told you that before, my bad yo!!" You seem like a good guy and maybe we just don't see eye to eye on this. You are probably one of the good ones and this obviously rubbed me the wrong way. So I'm sorry.

PS: You hit the perfect time to catch blowback on this as the week before my wonderful banker attempted to slip in $1900 in BS "points" on my loan not once but TWICE!! So I was kinda at my wits end as far as money being slipped in at the last second. Again...sorry.

PPS: I hope that you and whoever you hunt with this year all have a great time and shoot some 90 inchers!!

Thanks Steelhead, I greatly appreciate your comments! The next time I start a post I will definitely include all the details so everything is up front. The last thing I want to do is upset other hunters. I know it's best to be open and honest about all details or it will return and bite me in the butt! As I mentioned earlier I have traded notes with so many guys the past few months that I got confused remembering who I've told what. I did not intentionally try to mislead you or try to be dishonest.

In regard to OYO (on your own) and DIY (do it yourself) that is exactly what I do. I have never been on a guided hunt in my life (unless you include the many next-of-kin Alaska hunts I've done). Sometimes in the past I've paid a trespass to "hunt on my own." I guess some will disagree whether a hunt is considered "on your own" if it takes place on private vs public land? $750 for a trespass is definitely a chunk of change...especially if you add the price for the nonres tag, gas, etc. I understand completely because I penny-pinch and save year round so I can afford 1 or more great trips. To me it's well worth saving up my hard earned cash to share a hunt with others for B&C Wyo antelope on a lightly hunted private ranch. I don't have to deal with other hunters spooking antelope and there is the potential for a true wall hanger. I camp out, eat my own food out of a can, and pretty much rough it!

It has become obvious to me that hunters are willing to spend quite a bit to hunt quality elk, muledeer, sheep, and other species....but not antelope! I did a quick search in New Mexico to see if I could find a comparable ranch trespass hunt to Wyo with B&C potential. I found an example of what sounds like a comparable trespass fee style hunt for B&C bucks. The trespass fee plus landowner voucher runs almost $2,400 for a 3 day hunt on a ranch that is 1/3 the size of the Wyo ranch I hunt. If you ask me, that's a heck of an expensive nonguided antelope hunt! Most guided antelope hunts with B&C potential are currently running around $3,000 to $5,000. What's amazing is that is a fraction of the price it currently costs to hunt private ranches with B&C potential for elk and deer. Here's the link to the NM trespass fee hunt: http://www.discountedhunts.net/Documents/NM-Antelope-Rifle-Roswell-RGS-Jay.pdf

Good luck Steelhead! I greatly appreciate your last post! I hope you have a great hunt on public land! There is a lot of satisfaction out of doing it all on your own!

Hi there we drew Unit 48 WY Antelope, this year after 6 years of applying. We were building points for this unit because we fish there and just figured why not mix up a fish/hunt trip. Now we have the tags and the realization has set in we only know the areas near the river and we have not hunted antelope before. So if anyone wants to give us a little help we would gladly accept and if you don't that's fine too I get it. Thanks!

Hi there we drew Unit 48 WY Antelope, this year after 6 years of applying. We were building points for this unit because we fish there and just figured why not mix up a fish/hunt trip. Now we have the tags and the realization has set in we only know the areas near the river and we have not hunted antelope before. So if anyone wants to give us a little help we would gladly accept and if you don't that's fine too I get it. Thanks!
Never hunted it, but historically there has been a huge HMA in that unit. I would try and get on there - I think they issue a limited number of permission slips IIRC. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back