Giant Northern Wisconsin Whitetails

The sad thing is that there must be a decent market for these canned hunts. Somehow the game farms have a fairly powerful voice in our legislature when it comes to CWD issues. One guy who is the head of one of the game farm associations said that "no deer has ever died from CWD." If all hunters stopped supporting these places it would send a pretty powerful message

Yep here in Michigan we are dealing with a royal mess right now. 2 deer tested positive on a game ranch in western Michigan this year, come to find out that the guy wasn't complying with cwd monitoring laws and went to a local processor to get dead heads to submit to the DNR. So now there's an investigation as to whether the deer even came from the ranch. DNR protocol calls for immediate extermination of all deer on the ranch, but officials in a townhall meeting said they were allowing a "grieving period" for the farmer, and to my knowledge they still haven't depopulated the farm

Yep here in Michigan we are dealing with a royal mess right now. 2 deer tested positive on a game ranch in western Michigan this year, come to find out that the guy wasn't complying with cwd monitoring laws and went to a local processor to get dead heads to submit to the DNR. So now there's an investigation as to whether the deer even came from the ranch. DNR protocol calls for immediate extermination of all deer on the ranch, but officials in a townhall meeting said they were allowing a "grieving period" for the farmer, and to my knowledge they still haven't depopulated the farm

Last I checked, grieving periods came after a loss. Perhaps the state will pony up for a therapist too.

Why ban him, when you can let him jump into a tank of acid for everyone's entertainment?

I wonder how many pretty TV "hunters" have whacked a deer on his place for the camera ?

Wasn't it Jimmy Houston who had a video leaked showing people herding a "Wild Buck" into Bow range? They were caught waving at it and shooting blunt arrows at it to guide it. John

Wasn't it Jimmy Houston who had a video leaked showing people herding a "Wild Buck" into Bow range? They were caught waving at it and shooting blunt arrows at it to guide it. John

Well, that's because if you don't have all that good footage you can't get good sponsors like Leupold, Howa, or Sitka.

The sad thing is that there must be a decent market for these canned hunts. Somehow the game farms have a fairly powerful voice in our legislature when it comes to CWD issues. One guy who is the head of one of the game farm associations said that "no deer has ever died from CWD." If all hunters stopped supporting these places it would send a pretty powerful message

Could that be why the "expert" on CWD that they brought in is a shill for the game farm industry, Dr Grant Woods.......

I mean Kroll. Dangit I was just reading something from Woods. I'm such a failure. Apologies to Dr Woods.

Last edited:
The sad thing is that there must be a decent market for these canned hunts.

There is a high-fence operation about a half mile from my house here in Ohio. I'm just waiting for one of the massive 300"+ non-typicals he has on it to escape so I can shoot it and claim it as wild ;) I'd sell that dude to Cabela's for a couple hundred grand and buy me some land in Montana butted up next to public and hunt elk and mulie the rest of my days :hump:

In all seriousness though, I can't stand any of the operations like this and there is no doubt that they be-smudge the image of hunting.

Whats ironic about hunters supportung these operations, is that its not "hunters" supporting them. Or at least not by my definition.

Could that be why the "expert" on CWD that they brought in is a shill for the game farm industry, Dr Grant Woods.......

I think you may be referring to James Kroll, not Grant Woods. James Kroll was the designated deer consultant or whatever it was called and he is definitely a shill for game farms.

Grant Woods is not a CWD denier and his property does not have game fences as far as I can tell. If he is a game farm proponent, I haven't seen him advocate for it yet.

I think you may be referring to James Kroll, not Grant Woods. James Kroll was the designated deer consultant or whatever it was called and he is definitely a shill for game farms.

Grant Woods is not a CWD denier and his property does not have game fences as far as I can tell. If he is a game farm proponent, I haven't seen him advocate for it yet.

You are correct. In fact, Grant Woods was interviewed on a podcast last year and was rather outspoken against game farms. he said he put a lot of the blame for the spread of CWD on captive deer/elk operations.

dd6684363e288e8a124e1cbb931045d2.jpg

9b0d52e730262f3c85cd6b28dd10a39b.jpg

super-deer1-630x339.jpg

Group5-2013.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back