Sanctuary

adtr85

Hi all,

I am a new hunter and have been fortunate enough to draw my very first elk tag for this upcoming season. It is a late season hunt and I have been very excited. I have been listening to Randy's podcast and have watched the youtube Elk Talk videos that have been posted and I keep seeing this idea of sanctuary pop up. I understand the concept of sanctuary however I am confused as to watch type of landscape bull elk would consider sanctuary in the late season. From what I have researched, the elk will not be at high elevations due to the colder weather. I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips you could share on this subject so that I could focus in on what areas to scout this upcoming season in my effort to develop a game plan.

Thank you all in advance

If you look at the ruggedness of the terrain or distance from roads/trails and think, "There's got to be an easier place to kill an elk" you have found what is likely to be a sanctuary.

Elk may still be relatively high. But in general look in steep timbered draws with food and water near by.
Any still green weeds and grasses will surely attract a hungry bull.
In snow look to the wind swept ridges for graizing bulls.

Keep in mind that even though these may be the most rugged areas the bulls are likely to only be out in the morning for maybe 30-60 minutes after sunrise and 30-60 minutes before sunset. The bull I killed last season was in the same bowl that I killed a bull in 2014, which was the last time I hunted the area. Both bulls where killed in the evening within the last 30 minutes of light. Anybody who hunts with me knows that we will be getting back to camp long after the sun goes down.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back