Montana House Bill 623: Bonus Points

Yep. This should be called what it is, a Ponzi scheme.

Hello point creep.

Not really a ponzi scheme though... sorry people throw that term out all the time inaccurately... pet pev carry on...

A Ponzi scheme (/ˈpɒn.zi/; also a Ponzi game) is a fraudulent investment operation where the operator, an individual or organization, pays returns to its investors from new capital paid to the operators by new investors, rather than from profit earned through legitimate sources.

So the NR proposal is $75 for big 3 bonus points. I guess its only a $5 increase over the current price if you just apply. ($20 bonus point = $50 application fee). It appears that the application fee is "waived".

At least residents will only have to cough up $15 per species (current is $2 + $5). No way in hell that bonus will cost as much or more than most of their OTC tags. This outrageous fee increase will never fly. :rolleyes: I'll bet it gets reduced to $7-8, or less.

This bill would allow resident and non-resident applicants to purchase bonus points without applying for licenses and permits. It would bring MT in line with other states who allow the purchase of points w/o applying. Thoughts?

If you saw Joe jump off a bridge, would you too?

Why not just increase the license fees, for residents and non-residents instead of all this crap that allows people to buy silly points for people that really don't intend to hunt. I'm sure somebody that has a family of 10 will find a way to complain about this, as currently the Brady bunch is in for all moose, sheep and goat for about $200, and that's just soooo tough for a family these days.

This could be abused very easily if passed. Just purchase the cheap bonus points for all your friends/family/coworkers that don't apply and then enter the draw with the highest point holder as a party. A bit of planning and paying for a few cheap bonus points and you can always be in the draw with at least half the points you bought for other people. This could change the drawing odds for the easier to draw units.
I do not like this idea.

This could be abused very easily if passed. Just purchase the cheap bonus points for all your friends/family/coworkers that don't apply and then enter the draw with the highest point holder as a party. A bit of planning and paying for a few cheap bonus points and you can always be in the draw with at least half the points you bought for other people. This could change the drawing odds for the easier to draw units.
I do not like this idea.

Don't worry, point creep in its truest and literal form does not exist with Montana's point system. It's all rainbows and unicorns.

Since Montana is bonus and not preference for residents, why the Hell would I just buy a point and not actually participate in the draw? mtmuley

Since Montana is bonus and not preference for residents, why the Hell would I just buy a point and not actually participate in the draw? mtmuley

I can think of no good reason unless you had a Brain surgery scheduled for the fall. The Only group to benefit from this is current non resident applicants who get to share in the joys of seeing there slim chances made half again as slim

Has MT FWP proposed a good idea in the last few years? I'm struggling to think of one.

Oh Wait i thought of one

SHOULDER SEASONS!
[video=youtube_share;yGY8wUEmws0]https://youtu.be/yGY8wUEmws0[/video]

I do not like this idea.

And kids born this year will go into their first drawing with 12 bonus points. Or averaged with however many the old man has, who planned accordingly...

I don't like this bill. Anything that allows people to become more invested in bonus points is something we should not be favoring, so that someday we can get rid of those things altogether.

I'm not really opposed to guaranteeing nonresidents 10%, but the additional limited entry tags for nonresidents should be pulled equally from the landowner permit passover as to the regular resident pool, in such a way that an individual's chance at success in either pool is reduced by the same likelihood.

Just curious. I see residents post all of the time of getting rid of point systems. I'm just curious as to what they would prefer to the point systems. Straight draw like New Mexico?

Just curious. I see residents post all of the time of getting rid of point systems. I'm just curious as to what they would prefer to the point systems. Straight draw like New Mexico?

I honestly wish all states would go to this. I still stand by my statements Idaho has the best system. Straight draw no points and decide between one of the big three or deer/elk permits.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back