Montana House Bill 623: Bonus Points

Ben Lamb

HB 623 text here

This bill would allow resident and non-resident applicants to purchase bonus points without applying for licenses and permits. It would bring MT in line with other states who allow the purchase of points w/o applying. Thoughts?

Personally, I don't see a problem with it, aside from being philosophically grumpy about point systems in general.

Hearing is Thursday.

It would have saved me a lot of money this year! But, would definitely increase the wait time for the tag I'm after.

I'm generally against anything that further entrenches states into the bonus/preference point systems.

At first blush, I'm ok with it. It deters me from WY where you have to buy and then be refunded. But as NoWiser says, that would probably increase the wait times for the NR. So I guess pick your poison.

At first blush, I'm ok with it. It deters me from WY where you have to buy and then be refunded. But as NoWiser says, that would probably increase the wait times for the NR. So I guess pick your poison.

You can buy points in Wyoming during the summer months outright, no application or refunds.

I would be against this for selfish reasons :cool: It's already ridiculously tough to draw a permit as an NR and this would make it twice as hard especially with it being a true bonus point system.

I wouldn't mind if people could buy bonus points without applying. In a true bonus point system I cant see the logic in just buying a point unless there was something you had going on that year where you wouldn't be able to hunt. I personally wish we still had to front the cost of the tags and then get refunded if unsuccessful. I know my odds of drawing a tag would be better.

I think it is an awesome idea. The game is expensive in MT for a non resident trying to build points on deer or elk permits. It was the only reason MT didn't get my money this year as I have other hunts planned and wasn't spending 200$ to build a point on elk.

After reading a little closer unless I have missed it the bill does not include an option for a nonresident to purchase either sex elk points am I missing it somewhere in the bill?

Last edited:
Montana would actually get some money from me if this happens. I was already loaning out too much money for applying in other states that I never apply for Montana. Would definitely do it if I could just buy the points.

I didn't see bull elk or buck deer as part of the list, so that's a huge disappointment. I was hoping for something 'better' than the 80% refund. MSG are such long odds I just play the lotto and count on a nearly full refund.

A nonresident who does not apply for a license,
tag, or permit may purchase a bonus point for the
following:
(i) Class B-8, deer B tag, $25;
(ii) Class B-12, antlerless elk B tag, $25;
(iii) special antelope license, $25;

(iv) moose, $75;
(v) mountain goat, $75;
(vi) mountain sheep, $75;
(vii) wild buffalo or bison, $75.

Last edited:
I didn't see bull elk or buck deer as part of the list, so that's a huge disappointment. I was hoping for something 'better' than the 80% refund. MSG are such long odds I just play the lotto and count on a nearly full refund.

I totally agree 1 pointer that is pretty sad right there. I'm on the verge of dropping MT all together except for the goat and sheep long shots I take each year. That 80% is brutal on the pocket book if a guy just wants to build points. Luckily I burned mine last year even though I ate tag soup.
I have already dropped deer and moose in the state a few years ago even though I had lots of point built up.

Last edited:
The NR odds are already dog poop so selling worthless bonus points is...
Just another ploy to take more money from less animals

NEW SECTION. Section 1. License bonus point system. (1) The commission shall establish a bonus
13 point system that gives an applicant who has purchased more bonus points more chances to receive a hunting
14 license, tag, or permit over an applicant who has purchased fewer bonus points.
15 (2) A person may purchase only one bonus point per species per license year and may:
16 (a) purchase a bonus point when applying for a license, tag, or permit by paying the fee established in
17 87-2-113(2) per species; or

Line 16 & 17 apply to buck & bull tags. FYI.

Line 16 & 17 apply to buck & bull tags. FYI.
Still have to draw the big game combo first, correct? Still only an 80% refund if you turn that back when you don't draw a LE permit, correct? From the link you posted, I'm not seeing how that's any different than the current rules.

Geez sounds like the complicated draw system in MT is only gonna get worse to me. Why can't you guys have your legislative groups and commissions or whatever draw up something that would simplify things a bit out there?
I have been coming out since 99 and I have a pretty decent grasp on the system but newbies are so confused when trying to apply sometimes in the state. Just trying to find a new way to make a buck like usual I guess.

My apologies for using a term loosely.

Points are awesome. We should all buy them. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back