Montana 704 Custer Elk Hunt

drwbuckshot

Hey everyone,

I've got 4 points built up for an elk permit in Montana as a non-resident. Was wondering if the Custer National Forest permit for unit 704 hunt is worth the wait to draw. Looking at the draw odds I would have decent chances to draw in 2018 with 5 points. This years app for 2017, I put in for a hard to draw rifle permit in the Missouri breaks in hopes to build a point since I won't be able to hunt Montana this fall because of a new baby at home. I've seen Randy hunt this unit on Fresh Tracks/OYOA and was wondering what you guys think. I have successfully mule deer and turkey hunted the unit before but haven't come across elk on the forest. I typically camp in a designated campground on the forest when deer hunting this unit in the past. Hopefully for 2018 would hunt the unit with an Elk permit, General Deer, and if lucky and Elk B license. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Drew

Hey everyone,

I've got 4 points built up for an elk permit in Montana as a non-resident. Was wondering if the Custer National Forest permit for unit 704 hunt is worth the wait to draw. Looking at the draw odds I would have decent chances to draw in 2018 with 5 points. This years app for 2017, I put in for a hard to draw rifle permit in the Missouri breaks in hopes to build a point since I won't be able to hunt Montana this fall because of a new baby at home. I've seen Randy hunt this unit on Fresh Tracks/OYOA and was wondering what you guys think. I have successfully mule deer and turkey hunted the unit before but haven't come across elk on the forest. I typically camp in a designated campground on the forest when deer hunting this unit in the past. Hopefully for 2018 would hunt the unit with an Elk permit, General Deer, and if lucky and Elk B license. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Drew

In 2016 7 guys applied for that permit with 5 points, 0 drew so I don't know why you think you will ? Yeh theres always a chance but imho you are gonna need 8-10 points to draw. Especially as popular as that permit and area have gotten . Good luck tho.

And if I had 5 points, there are many other areas I would be applying to get a shot at a decent bull . With probably less hunters.

8andcounting. Thanks for your response! I really don't have my heart set on this unit was just wanting to get others input. It would be a little easier logistically for me to get to this part of Montana, coming from North Dakota but that is just a convenience thing. I got some PM's from other members and I didn't realize this area was so contentious. I know that big archery bull came from this area of the state but that doesn't really matter much to me personally. Would you have any other suggestions for units with that amount of points? I don't really care much about score, just a enjoyable hunt for branch antlered bulls with decent public access so I can do it on my own is what I'm looking for. Hunted the general tag in 2016 in Region 5 and had a great time and my wife got her first bull and we both got nice mule deer bucks. Just seeing what folks had to say about this area or other units that would be worth using my points in 2018 or 2019 season.

Hunt OTC and keep building points until you draw one of the coveted tags...or just cash them in and go on an almost guaranteed archery hunt every year or two in one of the better units.

I don't even worry about the number of points anymore. People draw with 0 and with 15...conversely sometimes more peole draw with less points than max points. Put in where u want to hunt and wait for lighting to strike. I wouldn't go into any draw with the expectation of drawing based on your points.

I don't even worry about the number of points anymore. People draw with 0 and with 15...conversely sometimes more peole draw with less points than max points. Put in where u want to hunt and wait for lighting to strike. I wouldn't go into any draw with the expectation of drawing based on your points.

This is spot on.

I would also count on seeing very few other hunters and killing a book bull on the Custer this year. :)

I would not burn my points on that rifle tag. There are nice bulls shot down there every year but there are a lot of people that eat that tag. You can literally hunt for days or weeks down there without seeing an elk.

I agree with this 5 points in MT is not that many. It took me 11 to draw a similar unit. But like has been said tons of guys draw with 0 every year. Odds get a little better with more points but it's still a draw and requires lots of luck. If your stuck on a rifle permit better get ready for a long wait more than likely. Archery with those points you can draw a great tag fairly easy.

Best chance to draw and/or have a successful elk hunt is archery. I've had the rifle tag twice and it is a frustrating hunt so I quit applying for this unit years ago. It can be done but don't go in with high expectations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back