Yeti GOBOX Collection

7mm-08

Wayne99

was looking at getting a new gun and was wondering if any of you use the 7mm-08? is it a good bullet for elk and deer? if not what is a good load for both? (I am new to the whole rifle hunting thing).

Thanks,
Wayne

You'll find a pretty big following for that particular round here on HuntTalk...some even jokingly call it the 7mm HuntTalk. It has more than enough power to for deer and elk within reasonable hunting distances. I'm not sure I'd use it to lob rounds way out there. Since you're new to rifle hunting you are probably going to have to stick with factory ammo which can be a little harder to find than say 30-06 or 270Win but is generally available in bigger stores.

The 7mm-08 with a good 140 gr. bullet such as the Nosler Accubond or Partition would be a terrific round for elk and deer, and antelope. That bullet at around 2800 fps will serve you well.

At first I thought this was some sort of a joke just because 7mm-08 is the most popular caliber on this forum. 140 grain seems to pretty much be the "standard" bullet weight for this caliber. Use a good quality ammo for hunting not the cheapest thing you can find on the shelf. I would suggest ammo from Hornady, Nosler, Federal Premium,etc... and I would probably look for a bonded type bullet (accubond) particularly for elk. Try a few different types of ammo and determine what shoots best in your particular rifle.

I prefer to cal it .284 hunt talk but the facts are the same. With 140 grain accubonds or partitions there's no reason for another round for deer, pronghorn and elk. I have no experience but copper bullets at 120 grains really intrigues me. If you want a long action round the .270 has a tick more velocity and a tick more recoil. But neither changes performance or pleasure much. The .284 ht can be had in nice light rifles also.

Thanks for the help guys!!! Anyone shoot the browning xbolt? I am looking at getting the hunter edition in left hand.

I don't have an XBolt but there are a few guys here that do and they seem to like them.

I'm using 140gr E-tip in mine but I sacrifice velocity due the complexities of all shooting copper/guilding metal...my rifling may also be too slow for those long bullets. The 140 Accubond would be very high on my list and as a non-lead bullet I'd go with the 120grain Barnes TTSX

Thanks for the help guys!!! Anyone shoot the browning xbolt? I am looking at getting the hunter edition in left hand.

X-bolts are great rifles. They seem to shoot great with a wide variety of factory ammo. I have one in .243 and it shoots tight groups (1" or less at 100 yard) with whatever I feed through it. I worked up a handload that produced sub 1" groups at 200 yards. I'm sure you will find a couple guys that had bad experiences, but overall you will see most reviews reflect that xbolts are great rifles.

I'd give you my advice, but everyone above beat me to it. Great cartridge, efficient and effective.

I really like the Xbolts. I've never shot one but they just seem to fit me really well and feel good. My wife really wants the Micro Midas, my only wish it that is came in synthetic because she also really likes the duratouch finish

The 7/08 has had a steadily growing fan base for many years. I've had mine for 16 years and can't, for the life of me, think of another cartridge that I would want to replace it with as my Go-To. Short of Griz & Polar bears.....your set.

My wife has the 7mm-08 in the left hand Xbolt Micro Midas. She really likes the rifle. She has taken Whitetails and elk with it.

I have 4 of these with my favorite being my 2015 Kimber Montana. The other three are weather by vanguard compacts for my daughters. We've killed numerous deer, elk and in a month we'll add bears from the Frank Church to the kill list. I love the Accubond 140 in the Nosler Trophy grade. The new Kimbers are threaded allowing for a muzzle break. I just bought a 308 with the break and love it. Super accurate. I'd recommend the same for a new 7mm/08 though most folks on the forum will say bad things about me and am recommendation! ;) Too loud, only for girls, the whole 9 yards of insults….

I love the 7mm 08. It has some "magic" capabilities haha;). I regret selling my micro a bolt in 7mm 08. I should have jist had it restocked to a a longer pull. I have never shot an elk, but many deer have fallen to my 7mm 08 before I traded it in, 270, and 308. It is a great round. Dare I say, but it will do anything the 7 x 57 mouser will do. 7 x 57 is used overseas in the same capacities as our prized 30 06.

I have both a 7mm08 and an xbolt, unfortunately not in the same gun. I love the x bolt, 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo, and it just has a really good feel to it. 7mm08 has quickly become my favorite caliber, that combination would be about the perfect gun in my opinion!

I've had (4) 7mm-08 rifles- one Remington classic, one Tikka T3 and two TC Encores. All have been great rifles. My current one is the Encore with 24" factory barrel. Like others the 140 gr bullet wt is my favorite. Most of the time my bullet has been the Barnes TSX. Has worked well on elk, deer and antelope. Have used it on bison twice but results were inferior to the 9.3x62mm.

Had a 7x57 in a Winchester Featherweight years ago. Very nice as well.

Last edited:
I have a Stevens 200, not the X-Bolt. I also reamed my chamber to 7mm-08AI.

Have had great success with RL17, and the 140gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. I now have the 140gr. Berger VLD Hunting to give a go this coming season.
Side note for reloaders... While I'm getting 2916fps with RL17, I'm getting double digit SD for 15 shots.
Using Alliant Power-Pro 2000 I'm doing 2836fps, and getting a SD of 2, over the course of 15 shots. This with a 22" hunting sporter barrel.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back