Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Jim Posewitz/Beyond Fair Chase and Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

dannyb278

Kind of an odd post. I recently picked up a used copy of Beyond Fair Chase. When I opened the cover, I was surprised to see a very personal inscription from the author.

" to Terry Smeltzer, for all you do for hunters and the wild life we love." - Jim Posewitz 1995.

Reading such a personal note in a book I randomly picked up used off of Amazon peaked my interest.

From what I've been able to learn, Terry passed away in summer, 2016. He was president of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters for at least 2 years and a lifelong conservationist.

I'm not sure how the book ended up on the used Market but reading the inscription I just don't feel like it is mine, at least not until I offer its return either to the Federation or to the family.

If anyone reading this is in any way affiliated with the Federation in Ontario or would know a contact there, I would greatly appreciate it if you passed my information on to them.

Thoughts?

I sent the OFAH an email and will give them a call this afternoon. I've meet Terry a few times when I was younger doing volunteer work for the OFAH. I should hear back soon since they are local I may just walk in

I sent the OFAH an email and will give them a call this afternoon. I've meet Terry a few times when I was younger doing volunteer work for the OFAH. I should hear back soon since they are local I may just walk in

Thank you. While I'm not 100% sure that it is the right Terry Smeltzer, the obituary I read combined with the note from Jim seems to make it likely.

Hi!

I just came across your post while looking up something, and I am actually Terry's niece, Krista. I sent a picture of the post to his daughter and she was absolutely blown away at the kindness of you posting this and the complete randomness of finding this book on Amazon! She would be very interested in seeing the book (she is quite the angler and hunter like her father was!). On the off chance you are able reply quickly, you can reach me at [email protected] and I will pass on your info to her! Thank you so much for posting this and putting out a search- it has really made our day!!

Valleygirl,
You might get ahold of dannyb a bit quicker by sending him a personal message. Click on his name and then click on "send peronal message" found in the column on the left.

Hi!

I just came across your post while looking up something, and I am actually Terry's niece, Krista. I sent a picture of the post to his daughter and she was absolutely blown away at the kindness of you posting this and the complete randomness of finding this book on Amazon! She would be very interested in seeing the book (she is quite the angler and hunter like her father was!). On the off chance you are able reply quickly, you can reach me at [email protected] and I will pass on your info to her! Thank you so much for posting this and putting out a search- it has really made our day!!

Hey Krista, I will absolutely reach out to you today via email. It appears that some chance and luck continues to unfold around this book! In April I attended the annual Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Rendezvous in Missoula. It was a 17 hour drive to get me out there, and I brought the book along to read during the times I was not behind the wheel. It turns out Mr. Posewitz was at the Rendezvous as well, and I was able to share a few moments with him, and showed him the inscription he made to your uncle years ago. He also added a second inscription.

Posewitz1.jpgPosewitz2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back