PEAX Equipment

new in new mexico

FutureMountains

Hey HT Forum. I just moved to Santa Fe, NM about 4 weeks ago. I grew up in MN in a fishing family, only having hunted for pheasants once in college. In other words I have little to no experience. I did play my share of Nintendo Duck Hunt, does that count as experience? Probably. :hump:

Anyhow - I've recently been hooked on listening and watching the likes of Randy and the meateater crew. My wife is a chef, so naturally knowing where my food comes from is incredibly important to our family - hence my new obsession with wanting to learn to hunt. One of my main questions while I get started here in NM is - Are there gun ranges set up to cater specifically to hunters? Specifically hunters that don't even own a gun. hah!

Looking forward to hanging out here in the forums learning from you all.

- Hans

Your bet for shooting ranges in Santa Fe is the large areas of public land that allows shooting. I can't help you on the Firearm acquisition in Santa Fe. But Albuquerque has several good gun shops and a Cabelas on the way. Happy to help you pick one if you give me some more detail

I strongly recommend you also consider getting a Muzzleloader and a bow if you want reasonable draw odds in this state.

And applications are due today! You will kick yourself if you don't get to hunt all next year. So be sure to get your app in.

And join NM BHA. I can help put you in touch w our leadership. We need more members, especially in the Capital.

Cheers

Welcome to the southwest. You will find things in general are different here. Learn all about chile, you'll fit in quicker. Ask for your enchiladas Christmas style to help you get started. GJ

Thanks for the welcome. And yes AggieOutlaw, I applied for some Elk tags last night just encase. I figure if I get one it'll light a fire that will force me to get over any apprehensions and get started practicing and finding gear until fall arrives. I'll start looking into bows and rifles. My wife bought me Rinella's Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering... books and that has been a great introduction to a lot of this stuff.

I will definitely join NM BHA and yes I know the Roundhouse well. My wife and I recently spent 3-4 days there fighting for a free and fair elections resolution with the Wolf-Pac group. It passed 2 committees and the senate before getting taking off the house schedule last minute after corporate lobbyists got to a congresswomen who at one point supported it.

So yes - I'd love to be put in touch with the leadership.

-skol

Go back pack fishing in the Pecos Wilderness. I prefer Spirit Lake, but Katherine is OK. Lot of hungry trout. Check the snow. I tried to get in May and were 3 foot drifts and I was in cut offs. Best fishing experience I have had.

Good luck in the elk draw.

The hiking trail into Spirit starts at the Santa Fe Ski basin starts at the parking lot.

Welcome the Land of Enchantment!

Last edited:
You are in for such a treat living in NM.
I could go on for hours raving about how nice it is, but I'll keep this short and sweet.

Welcome to HT and welcome to NM. If you have ANY questions at all, no matter how big or small, please feel free to PM me.
I can do my best to help you in anyway possible.

Good luck to you on your elk draws. If you are unsuccessful there are still ways you can hunt this year, but we can cross that bridge another time.
You are gonna draw!

As bobbydean mentioned, tons of great hiking, fishing, and camping in NM. Take advantage of it all!

Welcome... I live in the Gila but have spent a ton a time in the Northern part of the state. NM BHA will be hosting a Pint Night soon come on out. If you are a facebooker like the NM BHA page and you can see the updates.
Jason Amaro
SW Chapter Coordinator for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Awesome to have another NMer here. Good luck on the draws, and let us know how you did. What units did you put in for?

Applied for 6C, 52, 55 plus a 4th anything option. I think they're all post rut. I did this last minute so didn't have a whole lot of time researching units. Excited for results. I'm officially hooked and I haven't even hunted yet. hah.

Great hunt choices. We can discuss draw strategies at Pint Night

Which 55 did you choose?

Welcome from Catron county NM.
Good advice & some good folks here. Some good folks not from NM too.............lol.
I suggest breakfast at Tia Sophia's before heading across town to NM G&F .Walk in during the week and check it out.They will know decent local shooting spots & offer good advice all in all. Hell I spent one morning with the head elk guy last fall bs'ing & drinking coffee talking elk.
I know a couple spots in 6c if you draw.
Bobbydean....ixnay on the fishsay...lol I love the Pecos wilderness for trout & trout spots are rarer than the lost city of gold in NM. Heard they have done a great job on the Gila cut's in the river from local warden.
Good luck & good hunting! or Fishing.

Last edited:
Welcome! Santa Fe is my home town. Live in Rio Rancho now. All good choices on your app. I haven't been there in years but you could shoot west of town in the camel tracks area. But it has been a long time since I've been there so it may have changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back