MS Public Land Turkey

Jcour4

Well the 2017 Mississippi turkey season opened 3-15 but with work and weather issues we did not get to hunt until 3-19. My wife and I woke up at 3:30 am and headed to our spot. I had been to this spot a couple of times over the years but never had a lot of luck but always saw a lot of sign. We arrived to our spot about 45 minutes before sunrise and there was another vehicle just pulling in. We backed out and let him have that area and drove over to plan b. We were running a little late now, but we weren't in too bad of shape.

We walked and listened for awhile and never heard a peep. We started down an old logging road well after the sun was up and tried to strike up a bird. Eventually we got a hen fired up but she was alone. We kept moving down the road and heard a faint gobble. We struck off towards it and set up once we got within a few hundred yards. We worked the bird for 30 minutes and thought he was going to come in but the gobbles started to become faint and then there was nothing.

We gave it some time and were about to continue on when I heard a gobble that was closer. A few yelps later the gobble got loud and we could hear footsteps in the leaves. Soon a longbeard appeared and then another. I was set up just behind my wife and told her I would shoot the one on the left and she would shoot the one on the right. The turkeys start coming in and I see her put the smack down on the turkey on the right, but the other turkey was behind the tree and I couldn't get a shot. Oh well because she was stoked. It was her first turkey in a couple years and her first Mississippi turkey. After I had asked if she heard what I had said and she replied "I knew you said something but I was too focused to really comprehend":rolleyes::rolleyes:. We had a good laugh and enjoyed the long stroll back to the truck. It was an awesome day on pubic land and can't wait to head back out next weekend.

17353480_10155044263491763_1029099755060691591_n.jpg

Always rewarding when a plan comes together. In the last five days I've driven from Western NC to the Great Smokies then the length of South Carolina to Hilton Head and back home, a total of 10 hours of driving and didn't see a single turkey or deer or roadkill coyote. I sure hope it's a different story when I hit the woods in three weeks.

Congrats Nothing like some good MS turkeys. Looking forward to hunting them out here in CO this year but here is one of mine from a couple years ago in MS.

292556_10150810248945539_42601783_n.jpg

Awesome Turkey thanks for the write up. We have a few more weeks to wait here in VA before we can chase long beards. I look forward to it since it's been 5 years since I chased Turkey's in my favorite spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back