Caribou Gear

What does it mean to "hunt"?

PlusFive

Since I have been so busy with homework and have little time to get out and enjoy the outdoors this time of year I have been left to watching social media and Youtube videos, only furthering the desire to be outdoors and loath the wait of off season. One of the many trends I see in the hunting industry is this idea of long range "hunting". It is routine to see 800, 900, and even 1000 yard shots on game through out social media. The industry has catered to these long range "hunters" by making tools specialized for such applications. 9 and 10 lb hunting rifles, chambered in such offerings like 28 Nosler, 300 Rum, and even 338 Lapua; these rifles are topped with scopes that can rival the power of some spotting scopes. Then there is the increasing commonality of hunters carrying, as necessity, "dope charts", ballistic calculators, and ammo loaded with bullets designed to be most efficient at long ranges.

With the use of such tools it seems that many take to the woods not just expecting to take a long shot, but intending to take long shots; it can be difficult to distinguish a hunter from a shooter at times. Which begs the question: are the Europeans wrong in calling hunting "shooting"? For example when you look at most European videos they are not labeled "Tim and Joe go Deer Hunting" rather they are labeled "Tim and Joe go Deer Shooting". As my uncle once told me if you can shoot 200 to 300 yards and still cannot get close enough to shoot an animal then you need to practice your hunting skills, not your shooting skills. What are your thoughts on this?

I hunt every day I can and almost never shoot. We cannot cover every individuals ethics under a single blanket on this issue, so I'll tell you my thoughts. As a general rule (which I sometimes break) 400 or less is acceptable, 300 or less is preferable, 200 or less is expectable and 100 or less is ideal.
Others have a different talent than I and better equipment- these are my general limits given my talent level and quality of equipment. There may be those that think I shoot too far, perhaps they are right.

... 9 and 10 lb hunting rifles, chambered in such offerings like 28 Nosler, 300 Rum, and even 338 Lapua; these rifles are topped with scopes that can rival the power of some spotting scopes. Then there is the increasing commonality of hunters carrying, as necessity, "dope charts", ballistic calculators, and ammo loaded with bullets designed to be most efficient at long ranges.
... What are your thoughts on this?

Try carrying this one around for a long day in the mountains. I think it weighs 19lbs. You don't have to like it. :D

Attachments

• Cannon.JPG
    Cannon.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 343
Try carrying this one around for a long day in the mountains. I think it weighs 19lbs. You don't have to like it. :D

Caliber? Nice looking setup. I figured a man with your hunting credentials would only need a single shot instead of a mag fed rifle ;)

Is this the question that the guy in the lake that grabbed the ducks by the feet asked the guy who invented the spear?.

This is strictly speculation with a bit of observation but, People who shouldn't be shooting at 7-8-9-1000 yards know they are not hunters, because they miss by feet not inches. Some shooters that think they are hunters, shoot at 300-600 yards and become hunters, hunting what they wounded all over the countryside.

Last edited:
A hunt is not defined by the shot. The hunt may have lasted a few minutes or several years. The shot is what happens when the hunt is over. Doesn't matter if the shot is 50 feet or 700 yards.
Now if you are a poor shot, then the shot might just be the beginning of the hunt.

^^^^
Well said.

Caliber? Nice looking setup. I figured a man with your hunting credentials would only need a single shot instead of a mag fed rifle ;)
When they're 1000 yards out and on a dead run on 3 legs, it pays to have some serious fire power.

It's a 6.5 SAUM.

I think there gets to be a point where a hunter should not take a long distance shot. The gun may be more than accurate, the shooter accomplished enough and the stars align. But what we can't control is the animal. Give or take, it takes the average bullet 1/2 a second to reach 500 yards. Throw our own reaction time in and an animal could start to move and could have been moving for a full second or more by the time the bullet reaches it. How far can an animal move in one second? Dead critter now becomes possibly wounded, maybe it's retrieved, maybe it becomes coyote bait later on when it can no longer move.

Just my thoughts....

I like the toughts folks! Thank you for the insights. That is a nice looking rifle Greenhorn. At 19lbs I would wimp out on carrying it around haha, but I bet it is a heck of a shooter.

I guess my main point, which I could have said with less wind, is the different principles of the hunt. That is, I know guys that in September it is all about getting close. A 20 yard shot a bull or buck is good, but if they can get it to 5 or 10 yards, even better. Then come rifle season a 200 yard shot is good, but the 500 yard plus shot is better. There just seems to be competing principles at work depending on weapon wielded.

IMO, one of the great things about hunting is that, within the laws, I get to define it for myself.

No doubt there are people that really can hit cleanly from jaw-dropping ranges, but is it a norm? No. Is it something to aspire to? Sure, if you're naturally skilled enough, put in the time at the range, do the brain-work for the calculations so that you know them cold, and have the right tools for the job. By all means, have at it. But how far can any animal move in the 1 second or so it takes a given round to get there? It's just something that at this time, I personally wouldn't do.

That said, there are people who simply aren't capable of trekking up and down hills and mountains to get in close who hunt from long ranges, whether it be due to old age, a disability, or whatever. And long range hunting may be their only way to take an animal. And again, there are people who are skilled enough to pull it off even though they can do the walk. Hell, I have to admit, if I had the choice between slogging through single digit temps in the snow to chase down an elk or hitting it from 1,000 yards, I'd take the 1,000 yard shot any day. But I can't do it reliably, if at all, so the slog must be done.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back