Yeti GOBOX Collection

Howa Custom Build Thoughts

JWhunter

I am thinking about having a custom rifle built but I got a budget of $2500 bucks for the rifle $1000 for the scope what are your thoughts on custom builds?

For example, what weight, stainless, blued, or cerakote, what type of hunting: species, terrain, distance.

You'll get a ton of advise from guys much better than me just give your parameters. Also if you're not sure, don't do a custome build because it will never be what you want. I have re done several things on my custome rifle that I thought was perfect. Just trying to save you some aggravation.

JW, no offense, however it would be nice to have your ideas about what you want to use it for? I agree with VA. GJ

I will echo what the other replies have said: if you go full custom make sure you are very clear/specific about what you want. I just spent 2 years and a lot of money building a custom rifle and ended up with an awesome gun, but not what I wanted. I regret not purchasing a stock rifle close to what I wanted and modifying to get it "perfect".

I hunt and live in South Central Idaho I'm thinking something in a 7mm mag or 6.5 creedmoor. I will be hunting elk and mule deer primarily. I would like some input on what rifles you would advise then? I do not and will not buy a 300 win mag.

Of those two cartridges for what you want to hunt I would go with the 7mm magnum. You might look hard at the Montana Rifle Company X2. It's similar to a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. Both of those would make nice rifles. I have had good success with Ruger MKII's and I feel for the money Ruger builds a nice rifle.

There are so many good "off the shelf" rifles made these days, I would have a hard time justifying the effort to custom build one.

I built one rifle in my life, a .220 Swift, and, after doing all the work, machining, lapping, fitting, etc... I cam e to the conclusion that I can buy much cheaper, quicker, and better than custom.

I have a great rifle after the effort, but, nothing better than what you could walk into a local retailer and toss $500-800 on the table.

Sako Finnlite in 270 WSM or 7 Rem mag....short of 2500 so you can go long on the glass.

The main reason to build a custom rifle in my opinion is for specific purpose. For mine, I wanted a light weight rifle, that handled better than the compact or current production mountain rifle. I like a shorter length of pull to accomodate short arms and backpack straps, but I like the rifle to be a touch end heavy. Just my preference. I also wanted a scope with some sort of ranging reticle and settled on a vxr with a tmr reticle. What I ended up with is a 700 action with a 23" fluted barrel on a carbon fiber stock at 12.5" length of pull. I settled on a .284 hunt talk after debating some wildcat and obsolete rounds. It weighs just over 6.5 with the scope. I went on and had it cerakoted as well.

These are the types of things you need to think about. Even the cartridge choice messes you up because one is magnum length and the other is short action. Thats your first decision. Weight, length, color will also need to be decided on. Trigger, magazine, even safty upgrades are available.

Due to so many parts and products available, many people will advise to build on a 700 action. I don't think you could go wrong with the howa though. A high end production rifle may fit the bill unless there are specific tweaks that you want but can't get in a factory gun. Again, just be sure of what you want before you drop the cash on a custom gun because there is no blue book value given to custom guns. You can maybe get some money back but it won't be what you had in it most likely.

What's the drive for building custom? Better accuracy, different stocks, different barrel, very light weight...?? Or are you more wanting to pick up a really quality off the shelf rifle? Cooper, Sako, Nosler and many more make Crazy nice rifles in that price range in all sorts of Elk killing calibers.

I am thinking about having a custom rifle built but I got a budget of $2500 bucks for the rifle $1000 for the scope what are your thoughts on custom builds?

What shooting distance criteria do you feel comfortable with and what is your desire on rifle weight? Do you intend to shoot factory ammo or reload? If you reload are you comfortable going beyond the basic steps of just sizing, and adding primers,powder and bullets?

JWhunter,

In all seriousness... You should check out that Cooper model 92 in the classifieds and see if you can get that for $2500. It's light, Crazy accurate, good caliber, available now......... I've always drooled over the Coopers and that deal is seriously good. At $2800 it's one of the best light rifles on the market, full stop. Make him an offer and see what happens.

In and around your budget, it's probably the best value in a light. accurate rifle. Take that thing, push some 180Gr slugs and pick up a good optic, and you'll be set to jet.

Factory ammo, I want 500 yards and also lightweight

What caliber's are you looking at? Short action, standard or magnum. Most factory rifles have a lightweight model that are now giving an accuracy guarantee of MOA. Go to several gun stores and handle some of these and see if one strikes your fancy. Then check out some scopes using the same process.

As for Cooper rifles I have been told in the past their test targets were shot at 50 yards instead of 100 yards most guys use as the standard. This may or may not be accurate. But one thing for sure they are nice looking and expensive and have a good following. I have never heard of anyone being disappointed with them.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide.

if $2500 was my rifle budget I'd look really hard at the new Browning X-bolt Pro. it has just about everything a custom rifle will have for $2000. cerakoted,fluted barrel with removable muzzle break, spiral bolt, carbon fiber wrapped stock, glass bedded, lapped barrel, about 6 lbs. I don't think you could build a custom hunting rifle with all those features for that price. then again it wouldn't be custom so it might not be what you are looking for.

Back