Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cervid sex

jryoung

Can any of you science type folks share some data on home many does/cows a buck/bull can service?

If there is a difference broken down by species/sub-species that would be awesome...I'm trying to win a fight on the internet.

For deer I think John Ozoga did a study on this very subject, I'll try to find it after work so my search history doesn't raise any questions with the front office

Well, I once heard there was a big bull standing up on a hill over looking his bunch of cows. A little bull came running up and said to the big bull, " Hey big bull, lets run down there and screw one of those cows." The big bull looked at the little bull and shook his head and said, " lets walk down there and screw them all."

So I would say they can service them all. lol

For cattle the old adage is one cow per month of age up to around 30. We have had bulls go as high as 50 but he better be damn good. That joke is actually pretty true. Old bulls lay in the shade till the cow is ready, a young bull will screw until he's on the verge of physical health problems. Shooting blanks in other words.

For deer I once heard that a mature buck really only covered 5-10 does because when all of them are in heat that younger bucks still do a large percent of the breading because a big buck can't get to them all in time. Thats due to herd movement and hunting pressure. As far as how many they could cover in a pressure free environment, id bet its similar to cattle.

Definitely somebody on here will have data. I bet buzz or hunting wife know it off the top of their head.

Well, I once heard there was a big bull standing up on a hill over looking his bunch of cows. A little bull came running up and said to the big bull, " Hey big bull, lets run down there and screw one of those cows." The big bull looked at the little bull and shook his head and said, " lets walk down there and screw them all."

So I would say they can service them all. lol

hahahaah!! this is my dad's favorite joke to tell, heard it maybe 1,000 times from him

For cattle the old adage is one cow per month of age up to around 30. We have had bulls go as high as 50 but he better be damn good. That joke is actually pretty true. Old bulls lay in the shade till the cow is ready, a young bull will screw until he's on the verge of physical health problems. Shooting blanks in other words.

For deer I once heard that a mature buck really only covered 5-10 does because when all of them are in heat that younger bucks still do a large percent of the breading because a big buck can't get to them all in time. Thats due to herd movement and hunting pressure. As far as how many they could cover in a pressure free environment, id bet its similar to cattle.

Definitely somebody on here will have data. I bet buzz or hunting wife know it off the top of their head.

Up to 50 is what I always heard for a bull (cattle) as well. I don't have any data to back that up, but my dad was the agriculture/shop teacher when I was growing up and that's the number that he always gave while teaching.

As far as deer, I don't think that he could get to 50 in the wild. The rut is usually in full swing for a couple of weeks. If a doe is missed, she comes in heat a month later, but most aren't missed. I don't think a buck could even average one per day for that two week period.

For cattle it's different. A rancher might put the bull with the cows during a certain time of the year, but a cow can come into heat anytime year round.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, I was afraid to click on this one...

The conventional wisdom I've heard for wild, free-ranging populations is 20 cows per bull, and 8-10 does per mature buck, on average. I have absolutely no idea how anyone came up with those numbers, and I suspect that would be HIGHLY dependent on the demographics of the population.

Good luck with your internet fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back