Maybe it's a dumb idea

boonerville

So I have a wild hair to try a hunt for nostalgic reasons. My father is the one who ignited my passion for hunting, but oddly enough, he never actually got to take me hunting. before I was born, he lived in Colorado and hunted elk and mule deer for many years. Family obligations and his health forced him to stop hunting shortly before I was born. Growing up in North Carolina, I never got to experience hunting deer and elk like he did, but his stories and old photos always fascinated me as a kid. I became obsessed with whitetails, and I actually moved to Iowa just so I could live in the best whitetail country on earth. Now that I am able, I think it would be special to me to be able to go back to the same areas my dad hunted elk and mule deer in Colorado 35-40 years ago. I just think it would be cool to say I hunted the same mountains as my dad did. I have hunted elk before, but not in CO, and I have never hunted Mule deer, but have always wanted to. From talking to him and doing some research, I have the three main areas he used to hunt pretty narrowed down. Before I start applying for tags I was hoping I could gain some intel on which species and/or season would give me the best chance for success in those areas. I am within 12 hrs driving distance from the area, so multiple trips during the season would not be out of the question. Sure a monster bull or Muley would be great, but my goal in planning this hunt is just to take a representative animal from this specific area...just to say I did it. One area is around Tabernash and Winter Park, one is near Steamboat Springs, the other is near Evergreen. I realize the hunting will be different now than 40 years ago. based on what I have researched, the Tabernash/Winter Park/Steamboat Springs areas look like I may have higher odds due to Evergreen's proximity to Denver. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
No help on the hunting, but I sure as hell wish you luck. To clarify, it is a great idea and one you will remember no matter the outcome or size of the animal.

Definitely not a dumb idea. Pretty cool if you ask me. Seeing as its kind of a nostalgic hunt anyway, I might try to use whatever his preferred method was. A successful hunt is rarely dependent on the size of the animal. It's all about the experience. I don't need to harvest to have a successful hunt.

Definitely not a dumb idea. Pretty cool if you ask me. Seeing as its kind of a nostalgic hunt anyway, I might try to use whatever his preferred method was. A successful hunt is rarely dependent on the size of the animal. It's all about the experience. I don't need to harvest to have a successful hunt.

I have thought about that as well. Typically I prefer to bowhunt, but in all my dad's hunting pictures he has a Remington 7600 pump .308.

I have thought about that as well. Typically I prefer to bowhunt, but in all my dad's hunting pictures he has a Remington 7600 pump .308.

I'm a bowhunter as well. The rifle thing just doesn't do it for me, So I get it. But to me if the gun was still around it'd be cool to use the same one...

Join gohunt and look at the odds. You might need to purchase a landowner tag. Do you have any Colorado points?

Join gohunt and look at the odds. You might need to purchase a landowner tag. Do you have any Colorado points?

I have zero Colorado points...but I don't have to do the trip this year. I'm ok with waiting to draw.

Honoring your father's memory. Cannot be cooler than that. Have fun. Enjoy the hunt. If you shoot an animal, that is a big plus.

I think it is a good journey!

Sounds like a cool idea to me too, my grandfather gave me his old pre-64 model 94 Winchester carbine before he died, it's got notches carved in the foregrip for every deer he killed with it, it is my goal to try and take a deer with it this fall...it's pretty cool to think about carrying it into the woods like he did 50 something years ago...I say go for it, and good luck!

The good news is that you can go this year if you want. Note that 2nd and 3rd seasons are OTC for Elk in most of the state. All Colorado Deer tags are draw-only, so you need to apply by the 4/4 deadline.

• Tabernash and Winter Park are in GMU 28 - which is OTC elk for Archery and 2nd/3rd Rifle. For Deer, the hunt code is grouped with 3 other units giving you LOTS of room to roam. As a rule, 2nd season deer tags usually end up as leftovers and 3rd season you can get with no points. There are plenty of both in the unit(s), but it is pretty crowded and success rates are not great.
  • Steamboat proper is in the southern tip of unit 14 - which extends North quite a ways. Elk are OTC 2nd/3rd, deer tags are combined with 4, 214, 441 and are not guaranteed with 0 points.

Evergreen is more or less a suburb nowadays. There is hunting to be had in the unit (39), but access is challenging and the public that does exist will be crowded. I don't know for sure, but I would doubt you can draw it with no points.

If I were you, and you would like to have both an elk and deer tag, I'd look into 3rd rifle in 28.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions. I know the units a little bit.

The good news is that you can go this year if you want. Note that 2nd and 3rd seasons are OTC for Elk in most of the state. All Colorado Deer tags are draw-only, so you need to apply by the 4/4 deadline.

• Tabernash and Winter Park are in GMU 28 - which is OTC elk for Archery and 2nd/3rd Rifle. For Deer, the hunt code is grouped with 3 other units giving you LOTS of room to roam. As a rule, 2nd season deer tags usually end up as leftovers and 3rd season you can get with no points. There are plenty of both in the unit(s), but it is pretty crowded and success rates are not great.
  • Steamboat proper is in the southern tip of unit 14 - which extends North quite a ways. Elk are OTC 2nd/3rd, deer tags are combined with 4, 214, 441 and are not guaranteed with 0 points.

Evergreen is more or less a suburb nowadays. There is hunting to be had in the unit (39), but access is challenging and the public that does exist will be crowded. I don't know for sure, but I would doubt you can draw it with no points.

If I were you, and you would like to have both an elk and deer tag, I'd look into 3rd rifle in 28.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions. I know the units a little bit.

That is very helpful! Thank you. I may send you a pm once I start figuring this out.

I did something similar once, and actually shot a nice mule deer with my father's/grandfather's Winchester Model 54 .270. in Colorado. Have fun !!!

I've never hunted in Colorado, so I'm afraid I got nothing in terms of help. However, I think what you're doing is a great idea that may wind up giving you a unique connection​ to your father, as well as some insight into what he was all about. I wish you lots of luck. Hope it goes great.

The more research I do the more towards unit 14 am leaning...lots of wilderness, which I a hoping means I can hike in and find some high country that's secluded and away from pressure

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back